Line Strength

Neil Melton

Reaction score
Hi,

Went to my local fishery over the weekend, and caught lots of roach and bream, with the largest fish being around 5lb in weight. At the very end of my session, I hooked into what must have been a much larger fish, as my rod bent right over and my hooklength broke. I am fishing on 3lb 6oz main line, with 1lb 3oz hook length. Is this a little on the light side? Should I be using a stronger line all together?

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Not really mate, but you do have to watch out for the occasional bigger fish puting in an appearance.

You could upgrade the breking strain of your line if you are useing ordinary mono, to something like Kryston as it is a smaller diameter, but can give you a higher breaking strain than the mono.

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
Your clutch needs to be set lighter. If you read angling times or one of the other fishing mags/newspapers then you will realise wht can be caught. One i rember is a guy catching 2 14Ib barbel on a size 14 and 4Ib line.

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
Get your glasses checked Paulio you will notice a gap there between the 2 and 14. I can not remember which river it was one of the smaller rivers south of me which is most of the country.