brilliant!

• Thread starter matthew nightingale
  • Start date
M

matthew nightingale

My nine year old lad came up to me and said "Dad, when I'm not afraid of monsters can I come night fishing with you?"

OK your fishing may be screwed but I wouldn't have it any other way.

Stuart Tranter

Reaction score
What a cool article, and how true. I take my 4 year old to our local syndicate lake, where we catch a variety of small silver fish and carp. Jamies best fish todate was a small perch of around 5 oz. I tried to take a picture but couldn`t get him to stand still long enough. The maggots are a great source of amusement, he also likes to hold any fish cught and put them back himself. My 6 year old daughter was all for going until she smelt the maggots now she won`t entertain the idea. Fishing the syndicate lake is great as a childs ticket only costs ? 6.00 per season so it doesn`t matter if the fishing only lasts for 20 mins

M

matthew nightingale

My lad invariably nicks my landing net and goes catching 'minnows'. He's usually have way down the bank when I catch.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

When my son was about 6 years of age I used to take him fly fishing. He used to follow me a bit like a ghillie carrying my landing net and bag. He often netted the fish for me.

When he was old enough I taught him to cast. He could get 20 yards or so out by the time he was 11 and caught lots and lots of trout and bass. We had some great times fishing together.

These days he hardly fishes as he is concentrating on making lots of money. But certainly he will come back to it I am sure. The only sort of fishing that interests him is fly fishing.

My earliest recollections are of fishing.

Just after the war my Dad was able to buy an Austin 10 car. He took me down to the Trent regularly where I used to spend hours watching the anglers. In fact he had great difficulty in getting me to come home. My mother used to tell me how frustrated she was because I didn't play like the other kids. All I wanted to do was to go fishing.

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Hold on to every moment spent with the kids, they grow up faster than you think.
My lads are now in their mid twenties, but I can still remember when they were about 6 years of age saying to me, what are we going to do today dad?
Best feeling in the world.

P

Phil Hackett PCPL with Pride

My first memories of my son (31 now) and fish, I say fish because it wasn?t fishing, was at about 18 months old, in his pushchair and having roach shoals and pike pointed out to him on the local reservoir.

When he got older he fished with me until about 15, then found football, girls, clubs, drinking????and the like.
He?s never fished since, or taken much interest in the natural world around him, until recently. Then I get a phone call from him telling me about a type of bird he?s seen whilst out for a walk. ? You walk I said? I thought you had a sports turbo set of wheels permanently attached to your as**! Yeah! I?ve been doing a fair bit of walking along the Nene Valley of late, fish spotting and birdwatching. Jaw drops open at the other end of phone, and I?m lost for words for a few seconds. Usual sarcasm from him, then he says you?ll have to come down and have a look for yourself soon! Dumfounded again, ?what you?re inviting me down?? ?Yes!? ?Bloody hell miracles do happen then,? I retort. More sarcasm. To cut along story short I went down and had a thoroughly good time birdwatching at Rutland, and fish spotting on the Nene Valley with him.

Yet to get him out fishing again, but I guess it a work in progress. So as has been said, savour every moment because if you loss them from fishing and an interest in the natural environment, it might be many years before you get them back to it.

I?d tell him that I?m proud of him and the interest he?s now taking, but he?ll only extract the urine, so best if I don?t.

noel

Reaction score
Ihave read all these messages and after wiping away the tears of joy now feel more than ever that when my grandchildren are old enough I will nay MUST take them out fishing at present I have a 4yr old boy his sister 2yrs and my daughters son who is also 2 who unfortunately because of his parents being 5-6 hours drive away we don't see enough of. THANK YOU gentlemen for making this grandad very happy again.

K

Kelvin Moore

I recently took my 7 year old daughter fishing for the fist time and words can describe the feeling seeing her excitment and pleasure at catching her first fish!!!! She caught about 40 roach and skimmers in her first session and she has caught the bug well and trully - "Dad, can we go fishin' again, can we , can we??" on a daily basis now. Its the turn of my 4 year old son over the next few weeks so Im sure Ill have my hands full there!!! Lord knows what it will be like when I finally pluck up the courage to take them both at the same time!!!!! Im sure that Ill have a few tales to tell their kids in years to come!! I wouldnt have it any other way of course!!!!

I cant think of anything better - spending quality time with the two most important people in my life doing the thing I love most - fishing!

Bradley Herbert

Reaction score
I took my 9 year old daughter fishing and set her up a waggler to catch perch down the inside.The float went under and she struck the rod up and all of a sudden the tip doubled over and a 4 lb common carp was attached.great laugh at the look on her face when she said." dad is this a perch?"

Malcolm Stagg

Reaction score
Great story. Interested to know how young peoples' kids were before they took them fishing for the first time.
My 4 year old son has asked more than once to come fishing with me and reading this story and the replies I'm tempted to give him a go (might avoid the maggots though !)

C

Chris Bishop

Take him along. Get a whip, take him to the shop and buy a float and one or two bits of "his" kit, take him somewhere with a load of bleak or silver fish and off you go. My kids love it.

L

Laurie Harper

Lovely article. The bit about maggot vivisection was hilarious. My daughter used to come fishing with me (she's at uni. now and fishing with the old boy is definitely NOT a cool thing to do). We had some geat times and I've got some delightful photos of those trips. She often brought me luck. Caught some nice barbel and on one occasion, a 20 lb. pike when she was with me. It was nearly as tall as her. Just goes to show that you can have a relaxed enjoyable day, not fish too hard and still catch a few. Great days.

Keith B

Reaction score
Took my 7 year old to the lake last night for only the third one hour session.

Worm on a waggler after perch.

1/2 hour later, no bites, boy getting fidgety. Float dips and disappears.

He strikes and I have to help him land a five pound common.

Keith B

Reaction score
Sorry had to post in a hurry - boss walked in.

The look on his face. It was the biggest fish he had ever seen.

I have to admit it did bring a tiny tear to the side of my eye.

I think he just may want to go again at the weekend.

noel

Reaction score
Sorry for the late reply i've been over seas again bloody work getting in the way of play time but needs must it really is lovely to read these messages as i said before i will take my grandchildren out when school and time allows as i did not get the chance to take thier parents out when they were children my daughter and son were 18&16 respectively when i was fortunate enough to marry thier mother but i will be a mate to my grandchildren as you say BAZ.