Steve Parton

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

This all started when I was trying to find a company who make fly rods on Harrison Blanks.

Eventually I came up with Sparton Fishing tackle - based in Long Eaton near Nottingham. Now Steve, who has had this business for 17 years, is one of those anglers who does not mince his words. But he can get away with it because he is one of England's top still water fly fishers and a pioneer in float tube fishing in this country.

If you are looking for a top quality fly rod, or anything else in the fly fishing scene, give him a call on 0115 946 3572

And he will make you a top class fly rod using Harrison blanks, with his own hands, to your own specification for a fraction of American prices.

Dave Mcfluffchucker

Reaction score
i use the guy all the time for my tying stuff a top honest bloke i would not go anywhere else

tight lines
mcfluffchucker

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

Well I have just ordered a 10 foot 8 weight 3 piece rod capable of chucking a shooting head 40 yards.

Steve is building it to my specs, including handle design. I want it specifically for Thrybergh, Ladybower and Rutland reservoirs where distance is important make no mistake.

It will be ready in a week.

Come on chaps, support your local rod builders using British blanks and other components and stop our money going to the far east.

Dave Mcfluffchucker

Reaction score
indeed ron steve is one of the only guys still producing quility british goods if your into fly tying or rod builing ring him for a cataloge you wont be disapointed super fast delivery as well top bloke ive delt with him for must be 6 odd years and never had a problem

tigtlines
mc fluffchucker

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

Dave,

I am sure I will be dealing with him lots in the future.

A truly nice guy who has time to chat with you.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

I have just receieved my rod fom Steve Parton. I like the build quality very much and the action feels just right. Harrison blanks have no peers in my opinion.

It was built exactly to my own spec. A SIC tip guide - no hayfork shit here, high snake rings and a couple of ceramic stripper guides. It has a top quality cork handle - down locking with an extension butt. There os the usual keeper ring and the top and bottom of the handle uses high strength composite cork - a nice touch.

The reel seat is a Fuji DPS, up locking with the top bit covered with cork. A trily no-nonse combination. When I built fly rods in SA, all I ever used was a Fuji DPS, and never had a problem. I have however had problems with some of the fancy hardwood reel seats on some rods.

The whol rod has the feel that it was put together by someone who is an angler, and not a nameless face in some far-away sweatshop. There are little tiny imperfections on the rod which tell you this was truly custom made. I am sure Steve Parton will not object to what I say here.

It's like a bespoke handmade jacket from Savile Row. You can see it was put together by someone who loved what he was doing.

And it only cost me ?180.00

I will do a full review on this rod after I get the chance to fish with it.