spade end knots

waggy

Reaction score
Which knot do forum folk find best for tying mono to small spade ends?

Andrew Macfarlane

Reaction score
I don't like the hook tiers. They kink the line.

If you loosen the hooktyer and pull the mainline as most folk do, you'll get pig-tailing. The way to do is to loosen the hooktyer and then take the hook off, with the loop at the bottom of the knot still intact. Pull the loop end until the tag pops out and tighten that. This stops the pig-tailing effect.

johnnyfby

Reaction score
I must be lucky i started tying spade ends down to size 26 with ease when i was 13, kept me in good stead for years. I tried hook tyers but it was far too fiddly
All i do is form a loop, place ot on the shank of the hook, then whip down 10 times and putthe tag end throgh the bottom of the loop amd pull the loop tight. Its all down tor practice, but well worth it, try tying bigger hooks first then work down...

Andrew Macfarlane

Reaction score
I can do it too but after trying a mate's hooktyer last year, I thought, this is just easy and much quicker.

It's the same knot anyway.

mick b

Reaction score
The Snell every time.
I do not think it is a genuine knot as it self strangles rather than a connection secured by a crossover.

It is a far more secure connection than the knot made by the knotting machines, just test them alongside each other to prove the point.

For years back I regularly used to attach 8/0 circles to 100lb fluorocarbon for livebait rigging for Marlin and have even snelled double hook rigs with 500lb mono and a pair of 10/0s for some Blue Marlin lures.
In all cases the eye of the hook is ignored, with the connection being slid along the hook shank prior to final tightening.

Its also the connection of choice for longline crews when crimps are unavailable and they are fishing for their livelihood.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
The Bad one........Thats a great site-thanks for that.......I shall sit and practice tonight rather than watch tele.....

Have a good one and may all your knots be tight!!

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Waggy.....Anglesey hasn't disappeared under the snow then??

...its now snowing again in South Bucks...I also hear the M6 at Wigan was closed last night.................grim for travellers...

....sorry,gone off subject-again!!