basics

alan

Reaction score
i went freshwater fishing the other week with a mate and enjoyed it, so i have decided to buy the basics.

i have rods and reels that i can use, Ive got a few floats, shot, weights, hooks etc.

I'm going to be buying a landing net and unhooking mat(cheapish as it will only be used once a month)

what else will i need?

the fishery has carp, tench, bream, perch, that i know of, and i don't care what gets caught, so a mixture of bits

and will bloodworm pellet work instead of trout?

T

Tony Rocca

Alan,
Something to sit on, a bank stick, and I trust you have your licence from the post office.

alan

Reaction score
ive got a small tripod that stands 12inches high(and extends to 3ft if needed) i was thinking of using that.

my bag is one with a built in seat(i use it sea fishing).

i bought a day licence last time i went, but was planning on buying a full one. 1 of the local fisheries wont let you fish unless you give them your licence number.

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
Hook disgorger and forceps.

Bloodworm pellets are ok for feeding but break down to fast to use on the hook.

alan

Reaction score
ive got forceps, but will get another disgorger.

I dont wear hats, i have not spent the last 11years growing my hair, to rot it with a hat.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

I have worn hats all my life.

I have a full head of hair. Its those silly basball caps that make you bald. Boilie Head Barney is a typical example.

alan

Reaction score
Will my black widow do? i take it the 'pult is for keeping the ducks away from the bait ;0)

cheap enough so will do, how often do you use it?.

R

Rodney Wrestt

Alan,
Unfortunately not, I'd suggest something like the Trev Thomlin "River King" or equivilent version as it's very versatile, use it up to mid range for waggler fishing, it'll keep small baits grouped closely together at a fair range.

I use mine every time I float fish, think I may have a thing for latex though as I've just had a look as I set out my kit for Sunday and I have 7 catty's all for various applications, an' I didn't even include the very popular Black Widdow (I think almost every one has/had one) mine's for long range boilie application, honest officer :eek:)

alan

Reaction score
apart from the usual bread, maggots, spam(if i dont eat it) are there any other "all round" baits? i dont want to use trout pellet if i dont have to.

Paul B

Reaction score
worms, sweetcorn, hempseed; I assume you won't be keen on boilies if you don't want to use pellet.

alan

Reaction score
i dont want to use pellet because i disagree with the way the sea is raped to produce bait/feed for other fish.

ive got no problem with boilies. will they catch fish other then carp?

Paul B

Reaction score
bream, tench, barbel even roach will take boilies; you may want to try the 10&14mm sizes. You'll have to check the ingredients, because a lot are based on fishmeal products and birdseed base mixes have a reputation as more of an early season bait(as i understand it.

R

Rodney Wrestt

Alan,
you can make many types of paste that will catch loads of species, the most simple ones to make are bread paste (flavoured if required) and cheese paste (excellent in winter when made with strong smelly cheese and mixed with pastry dough to stop it going hard in the water). All the other baits mentioned are also good all rounders along with chick peas, tares and no fish can resist a worm.

alan

Reaction score
Thanks, im hoping to get the net and unhooking mat next week, and go on saturday.

alan

Reaction score
Ive looked at the recipes for cheese paste and I'm going to get the stuff for it tomorrow.
silly question time, do i just squeeze it around the hook, or do i roll it in to small balls and hair rig it?
and can it be frozen?

R

Rodney Wrestt

Alan,
I've had some in the freezer for two seasons, just use it and re-freeze what's left. You can fish it either way, a large hook (size 4 - 6) with the paste moulded around, or on a hair. Many people would suggest that chub are too cute to be caught on a hair rigged bait (liftimg the bait in their lips and backing off, dropping the bait if any resistance is felt) but most other species seem to get caught just fine. I tend to use smaller hooks and hair rig when after carp etc.