Which Semi-Closed Face

Andrew Macfarlane

Reaction score
I jumped on the 706 thread quite late and my knowledge of closed-face reels is about nil but Alan Tyler has explained the benefits and having tried an old closed-face recently (can't remember the model) I'm thinking of having one.

I reckon fixed-spools have done me alright till now but I find the process of opening spools, picking up line, feeding etc. all very clunky. It's not very smooth.

The chap who gave a go with his said that particular model was the one to have and anyone into closed-face reels would agree. I wish I had written it down now. He reckoned a good refurb would serve me well. I'm not being helpful on that front, not knowing which model he had.

So, age aside, what model do you think serves the purpose best? I'm not enamoured by the idea of a slipping clutch when you backwind. If I could avoid that feature, I think I'd get on with it better.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
For my money its no contest. A good s/h or refurbished ABU 501 or 506. Most people would probably say the 506 is the one.I never had a 506 but I have two 30 yr old Swedish made 501's and I've never had the slightest trouble/problem with either. Simple,efficient & very well made. I dont use them much since I discovered centrepins but whenever I do I am reminded how good they are. They are pretty simple things,not many moving parts therefore very little to go wrong.Both mine perform as well and look almost as good as the day I bought them and they have had some serious use over the years

They are,however,out and out "match" reels designed for light line & not very much of it either. Plenty on e-bay where a good 506 seems to go for around £30-35....the 501 a bit less. Personally I wouldn't touch any of the newer cf reels.Twice the price of a good 506 and nothing like as good.

Last edited:

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
I agree, a 501 will be great if you can get one at a reasonable price.

Leave alone the 1044, but the 704 (I have one) is quite good despite what Skippy says. I had both the 503 and 505, nothing to choose between them, but the star drag got in the way a bit and line could get tangled around it, which is why it was replaced with a round knob.

However, since you won't be interested in the 'slipping clutch' you won't be interested in whether it's a star or knob to adjust it, so you could get the 503 with the copper cover. With that you adjust the drag with a screwdriver so once you've set it to suit your line, forget it, but you won't have backwind on either the 503 or 505, nor the 501 or 506 so bear that in mind.

I think I'd look on fleabay for a 501 or a 704, the latter you can switch in the backwind. The 506 won't buy you much different than the 501 and they are dearer, I think it's a slightly faster retrieve.

Watch out for reels like this though - real collectors items, but you wouldn't want to use it.

Last edited:

xenon

Reaction score
to me it's a no-brainer-ABU 506 (forget the drag, it's rubbish-take out the backwind pawl and play by backwinding). for floatfishing in the teeth of a gale there is nothing to touch it.

chavender

Reaction score
Ilkeston ,derbyshire ,great britain ,earth ,The un
a good closed faced reel ,is a pleasure too use .i've tried most if not all , abu are by far the best too use ,not perfect but can be made as near perfect as possible .firstly its a question for what its too be used for ,if its primarly still water waggler then its easy get a 706 and set the clutch right ,but if its primarily for trotting then forget the drag unless your after fish over 5/6lbs consistantly then get a 706 .if its for fish under 5/6lbs then its not such a easy choice.

which model is best suited to trotting though ,well through experiance the best choices are

Abu 501 ,its ok manual pre-set drag ,just get some match spools for it

Abu 506/506m adjustable drag ,but its best not used .easy to modify to improve performane and usability (see 507)

abu 507 (mk1) bigger version of the 506 ,and the best one for trotting great oscillation ratio 1:1 ,can be made faster by using the gears from a 506m / 501 4:1 (some gear sets are interchangable) but speeds not bad as standard 3.9:1 ,has larger spools (but custom spools are better) and front button ,thats easy too reach with stubby little fingers ,easy too maintain .best used on backwind (remove anti-reverse pawl ,and tighten up the drag) .balance's nicely with most rods ,really simple too operate .

forget about these:as they're like marmite !! ,you love them or loathe them .

abu 503 has middle child complex (not as bad as a 505 & not as good as a 506 )

abu 505 got a fiddly star drag and low gear ratio ,pretty too look at

abu 1044 good but weighty reel but poor oscillation ratio

704 can be good reel but poor oscillation ratio and pin problems

507 (mk2) goldmax poor spool design ,**** oscillation ratio ,and fugly .good for weighing down keepnets .

Andrew Macfarlane

Reaction score
I like playing fish by backwinding these days, so I'd hope that can be done. Is altering the 506 fairly straightforward or is there a good one that can used as is?

chavender

Reaction score
the prices 501's and 506's have dropped on e-bay since the 706 came out ,but much depends on wether its too be used or looked at ,a good one can be had for between £20-£25 but better looking ones upto £35+
a 506m (match version ,4:1 ratio & shallow spool) you can add £10 ,

ABU 506 Sweden Closed Face Reel V.G.C on eBay (end time 12-Dec-10 20:50:21 GMT)

the mk1 507's still cost a pretty penny or two £40-£90 depending on apperance .not paid more than £45 each for my two they're rarer than 506's so fetch more.

or they can be listed for really silly money when owners get auction fever (don't even think about it)

ABU 507 Reel plus Shakespeare Mach 2 BORON Original on eBay (end time 14-Dec-10 20:30:07 GMT)

---------- Post added at 00:24 ---------- Previous post was at 00:17 ----------

I like playing fish by backwinding these days, so I'd hope that can be done. Is altering the 506 fairly straightforward or is there a good one that can used as is?

just like doing a jigsaw ,its all in the preporation and carefully laying out the pieces

i've got a step by step pictorial guide i did ,someware
and all the photo's on photobucket too post it when needed

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro

You'll probably find a lot of the s/h 506's for sale have already been modified. Jimsreelshop is worth googling.

Last edited:

elliottwaters

Reaction score
I’m a closed face fan and have used most of them. I bought a 706 several months ago and I’m well pleased. Accordingly, I’m currently having a bit of a clear out and have a Abu 506M for sale.

The anti-reverse pawl has been removed so you can play on the backwind. Cosmetically, it’s a bit tatty, but I’ve looked after it and it works well. PM me if interested.

Andrew Macfarlane

Reaction score
I'm a bit anal about keeping my reels tat-free, as it is. I don't know that I could bring myself to buying one that wasn't in good order cosmetically too.

Thanks for the offer though.

Chavender, could you post your pics or e-mail me them??

fungalinfection@hotmail.com

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
507 (mk2) goldmax poor spool design ,**** oscillation ratio ,and fugly .good for weighing down keepnets .
How dare you, Steve! ;)

I like mine, not found any problems with it so far. Like you say (and I think you nicked it from my article maybe), they're like Marmite, you love them or hate them. In fact, it was probably Granville who put the quote in, but quite correct and I like them. Then again, I have just bought an old Mitchell 300 to try out and I hate them, but many thousands of happy anglers loved them.

Andrew Macfarlane

Reaction score
Eee gads no. Mitchell 300 is a coffee grinder. Horrible beast. It's stylish. No doubts about that but for functionality, it's horrible. I much preferred the Ambidex. That had a nice quiet tick when you wound in and it felt like it had been machined to perfection. Nice bronzey gold colour too. I don't have it anymore...boo.

chavender

Reaction score
I'm a bit anal about keeping my reels tat-free, as it is. I don't know that I could bring myself to buying one that wasn't in good order cosmetically too.

Thanks for the offer though.

Chavender, could you post your pics or e-mail me them??

fungalinfection@hotmail.com

i'll get something sorted ,i'll make another pdf how 2 .and stuff and send them off this weekend

chavender

Reaction score
had too send e-mail from a old online e-mail address of mine as my normal one is down .the e-mail will be from chevinchaser (at) hotmail .

i only sent two pdf's in a zipped folder ,couldn't find the one on setting the handles position too the spools position ,so i included instructions ,the other pdf's include a simple guide to using closed faced reels and the one for removing the anti-reverse pawl .its all rather simple too do (thats the beauty of abu 500 series .

happy angling adventures with your closedfaced reel

Chevin

Reaction score
Hi Andy, last time I was in the US I bought a Daiwa Silvercast 120A. It gives you the choice of a backwind or a backwind lock. I am very happy with it, though I can't compare it woth any others because it is the only one I have ever owned.

Terry D

Reaction score
Never had a problem with my 1044s. They're only used for light line fishing and not long distance casting though. Apart from that they've been pretty good in all respects.

Chevin

Reaction score
How dare you, Steve! ;)

Then again, I have just bought an old Mitchell 300 to try out and I hate them, but many thousands of happy anglers loved them.

Absolutely, and I was one of them. Fifty years ago there wasn't much else to choose from and even though they were grossly over priced for what they were/are, young anglers like my used to dream of being able to afford one. The price of seven quid was more than a week's wages to me in those days (late 50s early 60s) and so it took some serious saving before I could afford the first of the two I wanted. I think they were probably better made then though, because I still have two of them and despite having been abused during the 40 years I have owned them, they still work perfectly even though they do look their age. Personally I would never buy one of them today, some of the cheapest reels on the market are much better but I can still remember the excitement I felt as I carefully opened the box containing my very first Mitchell 300.