Hook tyer

benny

Reaction score
I have just got a hook tyer for spade ends. Anybody know how to use it?
Are there any web sites showing you preferably with moving pictures . Thick am I young luke!!!

Beecy

Reaction score
Benny,

( a bit late on this I know but..)

I use the "matchman" hook tyer, one bit of advise I would give is that rotating the tyer to form the whip as described by the manufacturer puts a lot of twist into the line and can cause it to "pigtail" above the hook when you pull the knot tight, especialy with fine lines.

Instead I whip by passing the tag end around the shank ( as you would when tying by hand), you have to trap the line between finger and thumb after each turn to keep the tension on. This is quite fiddly at first but once mastered gives perfect results every time.

benny

Reaction score
I got to say I just cant get the hand of this at all yet I think its one of these things you need to see in the flesh so to speak or at least moving pictures there is an idea for you techno minded moving picture version needed?

Beecy

Reaction score
If I were you mate the next time your out fishing just ask someone to show you, or get a demonstration in your local tackle shop - every tackle dealer I know would be pleased to help out.

Yer AuldDa

Reaction score
I've got one of those battery operated hook tier jobs. It looks like a dymo label maker thing... only it isn't.

I got it on e-bay minus the instructions.

Now I enjoy a good puzzle or six, but this stopped being fun 50metres of line ago.

The permutations seem endless. There just seems to be so many bits you can wrap your line through and not so much as an arrow to point you to the start. There is a slot, a pokey down bit - stabbed myself twice trying to set the hook - a bit that catches the line / tangles the line and there is even a slidey roundy thingy.

The only thing I know to be correct is the insertion of the battery and replacement of the cover.

Please can someone enlighten me before I have someones eye out with it.

Yer Auld Da

Record - Hours Fishing = 128 - Catches = 0

(If you get a fish up to the shore and it kicks off and swims away with the bait for a good feed - does that count as a catch?)