HELP!!!!!!!!

• Thread starter Phil Hackett PCPL with Pride
  • Start date
P

Phil Hackett PCPL with Pride

I?m going fishing shortly in the Tywi estuary very close to the sea in South Wales. I need advice about what bait to use under these circumstances. I?ve never fished this type of water ever in my life before. So what should I use? It must be something I can get very easily off the foreshore or from a shop.

Could I use earthworms?

Cockles, mussels?

What about crabs?

Come on guys don?t let me down??..Please!

alan

Reaction score
what are you fishing for?

ragworm would be the "normal" bait (watch their mouths they bite)

mussels can be a good bait but normally after a storm.

peeler crabs are the best type of crab, but you would have to buy frozen and expect to pay around ?1 a crab.

G

Gary Knowles 2

Phil,

I've caught on lobs before, but you really need to know what species you'lll be looking for.

If its flatties (and thats probably the most common) than lug or rag will work well.

Peelers will be good as well.

I'd phone the local tackle shop now, get some advice and find out if you need to order bait in advance which is quite common for sea bait.

i've done quite a bit of sea fishing using heavy coarse gear - it's usually very effective.

Leac the hair rigs alone though Phil ;o)

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

Any Mullet there Phil?

Its getting late in the year but its now the biggies show so they say.

Fishing bread on the flood tide to when its starts to run off would be the best bet IMHO.

P

Phil Hackett PCPL with Pride

Cheers guys. I'm fishing for anything that swims. I don't know what's in the river estuary, other than salmon and sea trout run up it.

What it is, is I've agreed to take a relative of my wife fishing (he's never fished before) but lives overlooking the estuary.....Nice!

So it just to get him into fishing and hopeful catch something. If it can be eaten all the better.