Breaking strain

Floyd23

Reaction score
Another daft question from me.

If a hook is used that is bought attached to line, waht is the point of that line having a lower breaking strain than the line on the reel?

Cheers

Floyd.

Wayne T

Reaction score
Hi Floyd,
A lighter hooklength is used almost as a fuse in an electrical circuit is used - should undue pressure be applied to your set up(perhaps by a fish of extremely large proportions in relation to your kit)then the hooklength will snap before anything else(mainline, rod, arm, etc! ), it will also, and probably more importantly, snap off rather than injure a fish,leaving a small amount of light line attached to the hook rather than yards of heavy mainline which can lead to all sorts of complications for the fish. Obviously lighter hooklength will also be less visible to your quarry than your mainline;)
Hope this helps.
Wayne

Clive Kershaw

Reaction score
hi wayne can you tell me whats the best hook size to use and line for roach and bream i have been told the fish are not really big but not small if that maks sence ha as i have fisht their once and i seemd to catch a lot more eles than roach what do you think im doin wrong my line is 3pound pull and my hook size is a 18 or 20

Yacko

Reaction score
Hi Clive,
I think you need to start a new thread to get a response.
Suggest you give as much detail as you can like are you fishing a river, what bait are you using etc.
Yacko.