Yorkshire Rivers

Gareth Davies

Reaction score
Could anyone tell me of any decent day ticket stretches on the Yorkshire rivers would prefer to fish the stick float but dont mind the feeder.
Cheers

J

john ledger

Newby Hall river Ure is ok and good for the stick in the swims below weir before Lock.Lots of dace chub barbel and they take you on trust,money in box on the bank(envelope and Car reg)Also Ripon is good
Recommend Cundall farm and Cundall Hall fish down side of willows ,big chub and barbel both are day ticket

I

Ian Cloke

Where abouts in Yorkshire are you gareth? As the Don has some good float fishing and feeder fishing.

Gareth Davies

Reaction score
Ian
Im from near Gainsborough but dont mind travelling so any good areas you could direct me to would be great i just fancy something different from the trent
John
Are these day ticket on the bank areas or do i need to get one first? is Cundall on the Swale? any chance of directions to any of these areas?

J

john ledger

Cundall is on the Swale and it holds double figure barbel and huge chub.Take A1 up above Boroughbridge and then take A19 off in the direction of Teeside.About 3miles down A19 take left hand turn signpost Asenby and then turn right and follow road to Cundall.At crossroads near school turn left and follow road to cottage on left just before entry to cundall Hall farm.Tickets from cottage then follow Rd onto farm and park near Stables on the right of house.best swims upstream near Craikehill weir near willows.
Otherwise fish at cundall Farm which is on the left hand side before Cundall crossroads.Go through gate and you can drive down to bank

Gareth Davies

Reaction score
Cheers John
Whens the best time to fish? Does it fish through the winter? Will i get on at a weekend or does it get busy? Any chance of any tips on baits etc.
Also is there any other rivers that you could direct me to. I have read a few threads where you mention the Idle, which part do you fish im from Misterton but dont fish it very often

J

john ledger

Gareth the Swale fishes very well in winter especially the next 3 months when the minnows disappear.
I tend to fish the stickfloat on the swims i fish and you can take some good bags of big chub with plenty in the 3to 5lb plus range and always a chance of a 6 pounder or the bonus barbel and grayling.
If the river has been up or has a few inches on i feed heavy with maggot or castor and might use 5or 6pts to keep em coming.Link leger with breadflake always works for big chub,introduce 3 or 4 balls of mashed bread into the swim before you tackle up.i have had them to 5lb 12oz but believe me there are bigger fish in, i know i have lost em.
The Idle is not quite ready yet and will fish from around October,check your tide times as in the lower end Misterton Haxey Soss Lane it fishes better when its flowing so you need the tide going out. Light stickfloat set up and feed little and often and you will be sound

Gareth Davies

Reaction score
John
Any chance of any tips on mashed bread? Whats the best bread to use ,how do you prepare it, Its not something ive fished alot of although i have fished bread and mince together is it the same idea?