RIVER ROTHER POLLUTION NIGHTMARE

B

Big Swordsy :O)

This is my local river and after years of neglect it looks to have been wiped out!

When will this destruction stop!

B

I have emailed the EA as I am sure many of you lot already will have done I look forward to reading their answers, I am expecting more spin on them than a shane Warne special

Bob Roberts

Reaction score
Lee

Why not cut and paste the posts on the Sutton thread into here (have you seen it?)

I'd do it myself if I had the time.

Bob

B

john ledger E-mail member
Posted: 21/09/05 21:04:00 PM
Tony
You might well know already but the Rother was polluted around Eckington and a few thousand fish died including barbel chub dace etc.I went down to see Clive Nuttall last Saturday after a spell on the Idle. Clive has worked wonders on the river regarding making the Catcliffe stretch a very good fishery.
I fished a couple of hours and caught a few bits on a bad day and told Clive i would come back for a full day and now this happens
The Trent in the early fifties suffered an absolute massive pollution with hundreds of thousands of fish being killed and it was shortly after this they stocked barbel in the river.
Bit of useless information i knowThink i am in my rambling mood,its called going senile

B

Posted: 21/09/05 22:11:00 PM
Not sure what has caused it lads Nethergeen AC lads reported it around Killamarsh Eckington area but i will find out.Not much industry around there but there is at Chesterfield.
Hobby dont think its affected lower end as yet

B

Bob Roberts E-mail member
Posted: 22/09/05 10:13:00 AM
Re: Rother

I published this piece in the Green Un a couple of issues back...

Killamarsh Fish Kill Ruins Rother

Nethergreen AC anglers are contemplating what the future of fishing on the recovering River Rother may hold after a devastating fish kill. A pollution incident is believed to have wiped out thousands of fish between Killamarsh and Eckington and the damage could easily involve other stretches both above and below this.
At least 3,000 barbel, chub, roach, carp, tench and trout have been seen floating on the surface at Killamarsh and anglers report blanking in swims where it was impossible to run a float through without catching a gudgeon every cast only days earlier.

It's a sad, sad day for the area but the river will bounce back.

B

Chub King E-mail member
Posted: 22/09/05 12:15:00 PM
I too heard about the situation on the Rother and it was meant to as bad as Bob indicates. A reader rang up with a horror story about the river around Sheffield and the EA admitted they'd had reports that it started near Chesterfield. There was confusion as reported incidents occured accross their regional boundaries. I was later contacted by a press officer from the Leeds office claiming a couple of hundred fish were killed at most.
I have to admit that the agency are starting to get on my nerves. They play down any bad news to the point where they know we struggle to write stories. I'd even go so far as to suggest they deliberately dissemble and are very economical with the truth!!!
Too well media trained and managed for my liking. Try to ram the good stuff down your throat and then clam up if it sounds bad.

B

Posted: 22/09/05 12:35:00 PM
Is it worth starting a fresh thread on the Rother pollution? Maybe we could flush out a few witness sightings, recent catch reports, etc?

Send to friend Print Message

Chub King E-mail member
Posted: 22/09/05 13:06:00 PM
Good idea Bob. Could then go back to the EA with the evidence. I had a scratch around about three or four weeks ago but struggled to find out much to be honest. Sounds like I should have given you a bell. Problem is all the fish sank to the bottom from what I heard and that tends to hide how bad the incident was. Who did you talk to?

B

Posted: 22/09/05 13:57:00 PM
One of my club secretary contacts dropped me a note along with some match results.

Had a match return from there a few weeks back and despite the river being up and coloured one or two hefty fish were hooked and lost. The odd barbel put in an appearance, too.

What worries me is that the Rother joins the Don not a million miles from here. Suggestions that the pollution might have come from as high up as Chesterfield would mean that fish have died throughout the system if fatalities were recorded at Eckington. So how come they WERE seen near Rother Valley Country Park and why would the harmful effects stop before reaching the Don? Indeed did they?

More to this than meets the eye.

Graham (Marsden),
Any chance of lifting the posts relating to the River Rother pollution onto a fresh thread so all the information is kept together and not lost in the mindless dross that some purport to be debate?

For those who do not know the Rother it was once the most heavily polluted river in the UK. Enormous efforts have gone into making it suitable to sustain fish life again. It's not a very wide river, nor deep, pretty much an insignificant waterway but it matters a lot to those who live in the catchment area.

Perhaps it would be nice if some of the posters on here who don't live a million miles away would go and have a go and feedback to us on their catches. Previously it was producing good chub, decent barbel, big perch, trout, roach and loads of gudgeon. What's in there now, who knows?

B

Posted: 22/09/05 14:09:00 PM
The Rother at and around the Catcliffe area is fishing well and i was there last Saturday with Clive Nuttall who heard the pollution came fro a factory discharge but up to now its only a rumour.
The Rother around Bow Bridge was deserted of any angler last Sat but the river here lacks flow and in my personal experience only fishes well after rain and its flowing.
The Rother has been patchy at times over the last 2years and i have always thought some company was discharging unwanted material into the water as the water at times looked stagnant

B

Chub King E-mail member
Posted: 22/09/05 12:15:00 PM
I too heard about the situation on the Rother and it was meant to as bad as Bob indicates. A reader rang up with a horror story about the river around Sheffield and the EA admitted they'd had reports that it started near Chesterfield. There was confusion as reported incidents occured accross their regional boundaries. I was later contacted by a press officer from the Leeds office claiming a couple of hundred fish were killed at most.
I have to admit that the agency are starting to get on my nerves. They play down any bad news to the point where they know we struggle to write stories. I'd even go so far as to suggest they deliberately dissemble and are very economical with the truth!!!
Too well media trained and managed for my liking. Try to ram the good stuff down your throat and then clam up if it sounds bad.

B

Posted: 22/09/05 15:19:00 PM
It's brilliant that you already fish the area John, I wonder could yourself and Clive do some asking around as to who, if anyone, is catching/ what they're catching and whether this compares to last year or previous years?

If the pollution has come if from nearer Chesterfield there's every chance that it is associated with the chemical plants up there. If so it could be a total disaster in the upper reaches.

Surely the EA could do some sampling? After all, most of the real hard work in reviving this river has been done by the EA in the first place.

Greg, I can tell you're not too enamoured by the responses you're getting out of the EA and I presume that this comes from the press office who spin whatever they are told from on high, but my own dealings with fisheries staff have left me with nothing but admiration for the work they do.

We wouldn't have the fishing we have on the Don, Dearne and various canals around here without their efforts. Well, that and good old Maggie. She got rid of most of the sources of pollution practically overnight!

Chub King

B

Chub King E-mail member
Posted: 22/09/05 15:25:00 PM
I'm all for fisheries staff and am well aware of the work that they do. Definitely not over-enamoured by the publicity wagon that often gets its direction from the Bristol office. Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of people down there who give us a lot of invaluable help, but they see a bad story a mile away and are very savvy about how they deal with them... bury most of them to be honest, or stall until it can hardly be called 'news'.

Posted: 22/09/05 15:57:00 PM
Bob
I have been speaking to both EnvironmentAgency and the ACA of whom i am a member and both had received no reports of pollution. However Louise from the Environment rang me to say they had been a report about an incident on the Doe Lee which runs into the Rother in that area in the middle of August.Wonder if this is connected
Tel No Environment 08708506 506

Posted: 22/09/05 16:03:00 PM
When i first heard the news i thought Staveley Coalite Chemicals but there again i could be wrong.Like you say some sampling is required.
Good job it was not the Test or the Dorset Stour, they would have been there in 15mins or maybe i am being cynical

B

Call me an old cynic but if this happened a few weeks ago there is little chance of anything being done by the EA.

I know louise well and find it strange that they didnt recieve any calls when fish were dying.

Only possibiliy of picking up where it came from is if they now have constant monitoring equipment on the system, they didnt used to have on the Rother, the results will give them a clue when they get round to looking at them.

Chub King E-mail member
Posted: 23/09/05 10:57:00 AM
I take it that me ringing up about it and her ringing the reader who originally told us about the ROTHER, has slipped Louise's memory or that it didn't count as a report of a pollution incident? Suffice to say that the river had a good kicking just when it was beginning to recover from over a century of abuse. The reader told me the bottom was carpeted with dead fish wherever he looked and that the water stank of, I think he said, ammonia! If we can drum up some evidence then a story in the paper should gaurantee that the stretch gets some Calverton fish once the fish farm is back on track again.

B

Tony Rocca E-mail member
Posted: 23/09/05 11:59:00 AM
Most commonly high ammonia is a result of pig slurry discharges, any high intensity pig farms on the river anyone?

Tony Rocca E-mail member
Posted: 23/09/05 12:02:00 PM
Or fertiliser manufacturing plants.

Posted: 23/09/05 12:08:00 PM
Graham

Could the title of the thread be changed? I think the Sutton issue has been talked out and the Rother issue at least deserves a wider hearing.

I imagine a lot of members only read those posts that sound interesting and relevant to them (I know I do). Some avoid posts that mention Trent or Barbel Society like the plague, but the potential wipe-out of a river is of interest to many more than the half dozen of us who are keeping this theme going under a misleading headline.

Bob

B

Thats all the main points, got to stop now! I've got fu*kin "mouse finger"

Lee

J

john ledger

Just to add that Louise(Environment) rang yesterday and told me there had been an incident at Doe Lee which runs into the Rother mid August and thinks it could be connected.I fished the Rother last Sat and it seemed ok plus Clive Nuttall says its fishing well in conversation today Needless to say the ACA had heard nothing about the pollution until i reported it yesterday but that could be lack of members in the club concerned.I have told both Environment and ACA to monitor FM website for info

Bob Roberts

Reaction score
Well done, Lee.

A finger like that should come in quite useful as a practising amateur gynocologist.

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

John,

The ACA is not a pollution watchdog.Its remit is to fund and cordinate legal action on behalf of its member clubs against polluters.

It is therefore very much an after the event body.It would be great if it could do more proactive work, but on the basis of what is still a pathetically poor membership I suspect it is already at full stretch.

Lets hope the Rother polluters are brought to book and the pollution is not as extensive as it seems .My sympathies to all the local anglers.