Gaff rods

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

A Gaff Rod has a gaff hook whipped at the end of the handle.

When you play the fish out, all you have to do is swing the rod around and gaff the fish.

I HAVE seen such devises believe you me.

Actually it's surprising how little the average non-angler knows about our sport. Some years ago I caught a nice rainbow from Draycote and proceeded to give it a good whack beween the eyes with my priest. A dear little pink rinse lady who was passing objected to this.

I told her I was concerned about the welfare of my quarry and was not prepared to let it gasp out its last and die slowly like the commercial trawler men do with the fish she probably had recently from the chippy.

She didn't like it and walked off in a huff.

Joskin

Reaction score
I have an american Bass boat that has cammo seats. I didnt chose the colour it just came like that. I guess they are that colour to make the boat more aesthetically pleasing and they also use the same boats for hunting so I guess that would be how they came about. (must be a yankee thing)

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
I often say the world has gone mad, Kevins article is just another example to further reinforce it. The world has more to fear from camouflaged fishermen than any global warming or the like. They're mad, all mad I tell you.

W

Wolfman Woody

What really naffs me off is when they portray someone, usually an actor, on TV in a sitcom or soap opera holding a rod. Usually clutching it with both hands right at the butt as if it will spread soem disease to the poor sod.

In a sitcom or soap, you could excuse the idiotic director or 1st ass.dir. for not doing sufficient research and telling the daft begger of an actor to hold it like that. But these images even go as far as adverts for fishing programmes on the Discovery Real Time channel. How the hell do they expect serious anglers to watch their programmes when they can't even make half-decent trailers for them?

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

Actually in some parts of the States hunters have to wear bright red clothes so that they can be distinguished from deer, bears etc.

Otherwise they might get shot!

K

Kevin Perkins

Hmmm....
Jan Porter went from wearing red to camouflage, was that to make him less of a target?

J

jason fisher

i wonder where they caught that mermaid from wouldnt mind catching one of them meself.

K

Keith Orange

I remember seeing the camouflaged boat seats ad and thinking how absurd it was.

What I'd like to know is; If all the seats are camouflaged, how do you know where to sit ?

S

Simon Scott 3

What's the record for a rod-caught Mermaid these days? Will we see a rise in the number of commercial Mermaid puddles, muddy little pools stocked to the brim with specially bred examples?
Love Keith's comment of the impossible-to-find cammo seats.... snigger

Have to agree with the fact that the moment one sees a tv actor "fishing" (and I use the term advisedly) it's obvious immediately that they don't have a clue what they're doing, holding the butt of the rod like it'll bite them - and probably asking the director for shorter takes because it hurts their hands holding this long stick thing...

Jim Gibbinson

Reaction score
Kevin, you're so right.

Among my favourite items are:

Bed-chair replacement non-lose mud-feet (think about it!)

Bivvy-peg presentation set (honest, I'm not making this up!)

Bite alarms that, in conjunction with a remote sounder-unit that have an effective range of a quarter of a mile. WHY?

Bill Marden

Reaction score
i nearly got shot when useing camaflage gear from a baillif duck shooting in a boat the run that followed was not from a carp.so be warned all you ducky carpers out there.and be ready to duck .ps. i am only here for the qwak.