Lily pads

Beecy

Reaction score
Now the lily pads are starting to die off can any one tell me what is left behind once they are gone?

ie, is the lake bed left clean or is a load of roots and debris left behind.

Beecy

Reaction score
How would you need to fish these spots without your end gear getting shitted up?

N

NottmDon

Fish close to them if you know where they were before beecy not on top of them. Most of the debris will rot but lilly roots are strong tuberous buggers and if you hook one youll know it! Soon be time for the trees to shed their canopies into the rivers too but they soon rot down. Guess on a stillwater its a bit different as thers not a lot of flow to disperse the rotting vegetation. Maybe a pop up as CT says or a standard helicopter rig and mask the hook with some disolving rig foam in the hope it will keep it above the crap before it disolves?

Beecy

Reaction score
Thats just what I wanted to know Don, wether or not to fish where the lillies were. I made a note of exactly where they grew to so can easily fish the edges, i just wondered if it was worth fishing amongst them.

Malc Bason

Reaction score
I'd go along with what Cakey has said, but as Frothey has said, the will carp will be there or there abouts!!

Personally, I'd fish amongst em during the daylight hours with a bouyant bait poped up off the lead. At night I would fish a bit further away, or if you are confident you can be on the rods very quickly then don't fish to them.

Basically, at night, treat them as a snag as opposed to a feature!

Murray Rogers

Reaction score
(dont fish dying lily pads at night )

But sweetcorns good!!!!!
He He.

The roots and tubers on the lake bed which are whats left of the pads have to be seen to be believed. Its like a huge knotted mass which sits well off the bottom sometimes and is a bit like a sprung mattress to walk on.

C

christian tyroll

Murray does that meen your lead will just get burried into this 'mattress'and a pop-up would be no good? or fishing ontop of it at all?

Beecy

Reaction score
Just got back from the lake (blanked!),I've seen what you meen Murray, I had a look at whats left beneath the pads in very shallow water and its a right jungle, no way you could fish there.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

Lily pad stumps are excellent places to find big roach in winter in the daytime.

But you will need quite strong gear to bully them out.

Malc Bason

Reaction score
Beecy, how far out are these lily pads you are thinking of fishing to?

If they are pretty close in, try a lead set-up that will eject the lead very easily. Or try using tungsten rig putty - just enough to enable you to flick your rig to your chosen spot.

These are excellent holding areas and often too good an opportunity to miss! But in this situation, hit and hold is the order of the day! Treat it as any other type of snag fishing.