Black spots on Roach????

Y

yoggy

My last two trips on different rivers have seen me catch Roach with both small and large black spots on them.All the roach seem to be in good health and uneffected by this.I have tried to find out what this is but to no avail?..can anyone shed some light on this?..cheers.

Beecy

Reaction score
I've noticed this many times too yoggy. I'd just assumed it was some form of parasite or fungal infection but would be just as interested as you to know what they are.

Y

yoggy

Beecy,,My mate who also fishes says the same,,i caught several other species whilst fishing these two rivers but they were completly void of these black spots!..If this is a parasite does it only affect Roach?.One particular Roach weighing around 6 or 7oz was absolutly covered in them,as i said it didn"t seem to effect the fish in any way?.

G

Ged

I believe it is some kind of fungal infection, probaly due to warm water. Some fish in home fish tanks can suffer black spot and a fungicide gets rid.

Paul Mallinson 2

Reaction score
Its called black spot, (inventive eh!) not sure what 'it' actually is but i belive it dosent harm the fish.

Neneman Nick

Reaction score
if i remember correct,the black spot in aquarium fish is a stress type related thing.i think it occurs quite a bit when new fish are introduced to an already populated set up.i know pirahna are quite prone to it.
i was telling yoggy about the roach in a stretch of the ise brook in kettering i sometimes fish for.....they were covered in the spots,some even had them on their eyes but all seemed unafected by it.i dont recall seeing it in other stretches of the said brook.

Joskin

Reaction score
took this info from a website

Black spot is a condition caused by a parasitic worm living in roach and silverfish in general. The mature worm lives in the digestive tract of the fish. The black spot that you can see is the cyst that the larvae of the worm occupies. each spot is a little worm!!!
so nothing to worry about, the worm causing the blackspot is parasitic but does not kill the roach, it merely feeds on it (like when humans get worms

benny

Reaction score
This disease can be treated with methelylene blue and aquatic shops equivelants if you catch them ,treat them.
I always treat fish sores etc I aint a goody two shoes here, but I do think we have a certain responsibilty to give us anglers and the sport a better name.Just a thought fellows!

M

madpiker

most waters on the somerset levels have roach with black spot.the EA don`t see it as a serious disease and fish can be given a section 30 certificate even if they suffer from black spot.

Y

yoggy

Thanks folks,i understand what you"re saying benny about treating the fish,but the amount i caught it would have cost me a bloody fortune if i treated each individual fish!!!

benny

Reaction score
I know what you mean yoggy, I understand the dilemma. I really think it's worth considering though, 'specially the good speciman sizes .

john arrowsmith

Reaction score
I caught a roach with small needle like protrusion. When i pulled it out it had 3 legs which i presume do the attaching to the fish. Any ideas.

F

Frank "Chubber" Curtis

I've caught roach with blackspot as far back as I can remember. As has already been said, it doesn't seem to affect the fish in any way and on some waters I've noticed that a year or two later all the fish are clean and healthy with not a spot in sight.