Best way to prepare chum mixer.?

Keith Sutherland

Reaction score
Thanks for reading this.
Ive just started carp fishing and for the last 5-6 weeks ive been freelining breadcrust to great effect.

Now ive been out and got myself a rod pod and a bite alarm and a couple of small size 10 hair rigs.

Last week i caught some nice carp on simple sweetcorn, ive been out and bought myself some bloodworm attractant juice and a box of cheap dog mixers with the idea of hair rigging them this weekend.

Can someone please tell me the best way to prepare them so that they dont crumble apart etc.
Should i pre drill them before adding attractant, soak etc.

ANY advice greatfully received please..

Thanks in advance.

E

EC

Used to be:

1 pint of mixer in a jug

quarter pint of boiling water and flavour if req'd

swill and stir about for 30 seconds

pour off water

put mixers in sealed bag

happy days a few hours later

E

EC

That was for chum mixers, I hear their make up changed so .........?

C

christian tyroll

i think there was a post on this a few weeks back have a search for it it will probably tell you what you need to know if Eddie hasnt already!

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Keith, personally I don't flavour the freebies, the flavoured ones are special and should been given sparingly, with a hook attached!

Good luck mate!

gilesy

Reaction score
every xmas you see kp nuts sold in large long round resealable plastic containers "red screw on top" these are brill for flavouring mixers,3/4 fill with mixers add flavour, mine is usually source or csl shake and leave . i did some last new years day and had a great holiday in devon spring bank week "end of may" they dont go off or all gooey they were spot on

C

Cakey

used to do the polybag trick but mixer aint the same no more so now I file a groove in the mixer and super glue it to the hook then I drill a small hole in the opposite side of the mixer and super glue a small weight into the hole ,this puts the hook out of the water and some times helps !(sometimes need to use two mixers for the extra bouyancy)

E

EC

Cakey, I Haven't used mixers for ages, I've got some prepared (from years ago) in freezer!

How are the mixers nowadays different mate?

R

Robert Woods 1

I personally add hot water in bowl and add dog food to it. Leave to stand and our two dogs woof it down...!!!

Dave Mccarthy

Reaction score
Pedigree chum sink within a few minutes of being in the water. Found this out on an evening session when I started catching Tench after Tench. Thought at first it was a fluke fish off the surface, but tested and found the baits sunk. Had about a dozen tench in 1 1/2 hours. Found tesco brand mixer to float longest(fish have trouble sucking them buggers under!).

C

Cakey

Dunno Eddie its just the old chum mixer I could leave out all day and the newer stuff goes soggy and really soft after 5 mins and aint recastable should you spy another fish !