reservoir carp

gilesy

Reaction score
been a member of a one water club for almost ten years now,its a great water for bream roach perch and pike,one evening this year while surface plugging for pike in the shallows i saw right in front of me a carp that if not 30lb was very close,after a few months homework ive found out about 30 carp were stocked in the 1970s,now my club only has 175 members and you only get in if someone dies or gives up membership,theres no carpers at all from what ive seen ! how do i approach fishing a res ? do i bait n wait , do i need to feature find ? bear in mind this is the first ive seen ! its not a massive reservoir but as usual one very shallow and silty end and one dam wall end

P

paul williams 2

methinks you have already climbed one mountain....you have spotted them ( or at least one!)
I have been watching carp in a local res for at least 10 years now and never fished for them!......just watched em getting bigger!
They NEVER move far from their favourite positions and even then have definate patrol routes and even favourite areas they feed,or appear to feed! though bear in mind they are feeding naturaly and not on introduced anglers baits (similar to your fish?)
If and when i decide to have a go for these carp i will bait their feeding and or patrol route over a period of time and then fish for them.
Spend time on the water without a rod......carp are the most visible of fish.

C

Cakey

I agree with Paul and the only thing I would add is get to the ressy an hour before light and an hour before dark and just sit and watch !