Fancy a bit of NOODLING???

I

Ian Cloke

HERE is the story of one man who did, and he w........ Well I'll let you read it and make up your own mind ;o)

Beecy

Reaction score
A few weeks ago I saw an episode of Total Fishing where Matt hayes was after catfish in france, to attract them they used a device called a "clunk" which was basically a bit of wood they smacked into the water making a "clunk" noise.

Was this real or was it a repeat of an April 1st programme?

N

NottmDon

sounds like hes one noodle short of a pot noodle to me what a complete muppet! Cats may be big fish but grabbing them by the gill covers must be the equivalent to someone hanging onto your lungs and can only cause damage or death to the fish surely? As for being worried about putting your hand down a hole cus theres a cotton mouth in it dont even go there! Holes and beavers I'll leave to someone with more wit but the guy who is 'noodling' could well be described as a hole or a beaver or at least what such terms mean thesedays :)

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

I guess these guys are catching the catfish to eat so they hardly likely to worry too much about the welfare of the fish.

Smacking the water in front of you with the rod tip is a standard method of attracting catfish in South Africa. Catfish are extremely inquisitive and will often approach certain types of movement or sound in the water with aggression. I have had them charge into my waders before today and I once kicked one up the bank that did so.

N

NottmDon

You ever eaten catfish Ron? I'd imagine theyd taste a bit muddy and of course youd need a bloody big frying pan :)

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

It depends on the type of water you catch them Don.

I certainly would not eat catfish caught from some of the gold mines slimes dams. They have cyanide in the water.

I have eaten African Sharp Toothed Catfish from clean waters on a few occasions. The flesh is not unlike salmon and is nice and pink with big flakes. It is full of Omega 3 and is very good for you.

The most delicious of all the catfish species is a fish called "The Butter Barbel" which is found in the Limpopo River and parts of the Okavango in Botswana. I have eaten a fillet once in my life and can assure you it is truly fantastic.

Unfortunately this species is very endangered, due to modern farming practices.

N

NottmDon

Thanks for that Ron. I take Omega 3 to keep my tryglicide levels down and have to say it works pretty good.

N

NottmDon

lmao, dont blame you Frank, dont think I'd fancy tickling a catfish though!