My Bruvver Can't catch a Bass

T

Tim Sidney

Can anyone help my little bruvver. He has been sea fishing for about 20years and has never caught a bass (not through the lack of trying)He has caught just about every fish in the sea but not a BASS not even a schoolie. He has bought the best tackle a nice new boat with all the equipment echo sounders fish finders etc but not a sniff. Are thereany sure fire methods for catching Bass and if so could you e.mail them to me.

yours in anticipation
Tim

P

Paul Adams

tim, is your bruv fishing where bass are actually found?-if located they can be quiet easy to catch, he really should'nt need a boat as bass are found very close to shore & up into rivers in the summer-generally anywhere in southern britain can produce bass-try casting a rapala from rocks or near any kind of feature near to shore-or try freelining a mackeral head & guts down the side of a stone pier, i have'nt caught a large one myself but i've had plenty up to 3Ib on usual tactics from weymouth harbour, the thames estuary,
lowestoft beach, clacton beach, selsey east beach,
taddiford beach, the river crouch, st.osyth beach & even in east india docks in london's eastend!-the place i had the most bass in one day, which was 9, was a tiny creek behind milford shingle bank called sturt pond in hampshire, i could see them flashing their sides in the clear water, i presented ragworm on a simple paternoster, using a carp rod, it was great sport & they were all released-i can't really give you any guaranteed catching tips as most of the bass i've caught have not been targeted, but i hope some of this info may help your brother catch at least a schoolie-hold up, here's a tip if you catch one, don't grab a bass willy-nilly, you will be impaled
by it's impressive array of sharp spines, they are not poisonous but when they're flapping about they can cause nasty cuts, even on the sharp edges of the gill cover-just place your thumb in it's mouth & forefinger under it's chin & lift.
good luck to your brother

R

Ray Bewick

Tim - you or your 'bruv' should try the beach by the old Shoreham power station with blow lug bait, try Newhaven live prawns. Schoolies up to 2lb on very simple light rigs &. Do not cast too far out, persevere walk & cast 'barbel fish'. Follow Pauls advice.

T

Tim Sidney

thanks guys
I have actually caught many a Bass, my Bruv even watched me catching them two at a time (one on hook and one foul hooked) from the brickfields at Conyer in Kent.

R

Ray Bewick

Nah!, don't believe you mate :0), your probably confused with the black, spotted or striped type.

I bet 'little bruv' is actually a millonaire 6' 8" ex boxing champ with film star good looks & huge assets!

The things some people will do to promote a new fishery :)))))))))))))-------falls of chair.