New world record

C

Chub King

Last week's story related to six hours' fishing.
Gary Thorpe, GOT Baits is now the proud holder of the official world five-hour match record.
The 8lb chub came out in the same match, as did a 2lb 8oz roach, a 7lb 12oz bream and a 6lb orfe.
Is Rolfs lake the best venue in the country?

Michael Townsend 3

Reaction score
What a catch, i bet his arms were killing him.
I would have settled for coming last with that chub and roach !

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

Having examined the photo of the 8 pound "chub" very carefully, and being fully aware that photos are not 100% accrate when it comes to fish identification, I would say that there are signs here that tell me that this fish is not a chub.

The head, eyes and most striking the tail fin tells me that this could be a chub/grasscarp hybrid or something like it.

F

Frank "Chubber" Curtis

I've also got my suspicions about that chub.

Bob Roberts

Reaction score
Best venue in the country?

I'm reminded of the **** Walker tale where a guy dies in his sleep and when he wakes up he finds himself on the banks of the finest chalk stream he has ever seen. In his hand is the lightest, slimmest rod ever dreamed of and it has a perfect action.

Peering into the water he spots a 6lb brownie holding station behind a rock, occasionally sipping down flies. It is bigger than any trout he caught in his lifetime.

Miraculously the fly on his rod is a perfect imitation of the hatch. It's a long and tricky cast to the fish but with trembling hands he flicks out the fly and his first attempt lands perfectly. Up comes the trout and a fine battle follows.

Pleased with his result he decides to return the fish. Standing up he realises that another trout, identical to the previous one has taken the station of the previous one and it too is feeding happily.

So he casts out and once again his delivery is inch perfect. Once more he does battle with a fine trout. The scene is repeated six more times before a man ambles down the bank towards him.

"I can't believe it!" says the newly deceased man, "I've just caught eight fabulous trout, I haven't made a single bad cast and it looks as though I can continue doing this forever. Does everyone get to do something like this in heaven?"

The passer by smiles wrily, "Sir," He says, "They certainly do, but just a small point, this isn't heaven..."

And I put it to you that nor is Rolf's Lake.

No fish were damaged in the writing of this post.

C

Chub King

Will certainly concede that the mouth looks a bit funny but, as far as I am aware, there are no grassies in Rolfs. Whilst Rolf Wobbeking might have been supplied with dodgy chub when he stocked the venue, let's not forget that he was a big name in the specimen scene back in the days (as a number of you were too) and he knows a fair bit about fish. Some of the other chub that have been caught off Rolfs were definitely chub. Bearing in mind they live in a stillwater and eat pellets all the time they're bound to be a bit unusual.
And yes Bob, you're right, it's not Heaven. But I can assure you it isn't Hell either. A better-run and considerately managed fishery you'll struggle to find. It is what it is - an awesome match venue that just happens to hold some incredible specimen fish. And a world record.

W

Warren 'Hatrick' (Wol) Gaunt

Guy with Chub is a mate of mine, not seen him yet since the capture of that fish but he'll sure rub it in. Not really worried though, that fish is caught regular. Anyhow, i'll tell him its a Hybrid just to p*** him off. Another mate of mine that fishes Rolf's and a top rod on their is Colin Storey, has a brother that a few speci lads on here might know as Alan Storey.

A well run venue like Graham says unlike many other bag-it waters i could mention.

I dont think it can be pleasure fished either, i'm pretty sure it only ever gets fished when a match is on and i think thats about 3 times a week.

C

Chub King

It's only ever open to anglers at weekends for matchfishing and it's booked for ages in advanced - in effect, another closed shop. All fish caught are dipped in saline solution before being returned to keep disease at bay. For a match venue the fish are all in great nick.
It's also pole-only, no running line and I think that GOT Baits is the only bait (pellet) that is allowed there as Rolf decided it was best for his fish.

L

Laurie Harper

Spot on, Bob. A similar story concerns the jazz musician who dies and goes to hell. He arrives and is directed to his dressing room, where an original, mint Selmer Mk. 6 tenor sax is handed to him. He changes into a brand new tuxedo and is ushered onto the stage in a state of the art 10,00 seater concert hall. Looking round the band, he spies a Who's Who of jazzers assembled around him. Bird, Dizzie, Monk, they're all there. "Wow", he thinks. "If this is hell, I'm glad I didn't behave while I was alive." The lights go down, the audience goes quiet and the devil appears on the conductor's rostrum. Smiling at the band, he says, "OK, guys. Let's start with the Birdie Song. One, two, three..."

You have to suffer a bit to appreciate the good times.

Bob Roberts

Reaction score
Greg

The tale is in no way a comment on how well or otherwise the fishery is run. It could be surrounded by palm trees, while naked maidens waft the angler with fans and pandered to his every whim, but as far as fishing is concerned I just cannot see where the enjoyment is.

Who in their right mind wants to spend five solid hours on the wrong end of a bungee rope?

Imagine the risk assesments you'd have to devise should you want to employ someone to work like that?

The guy's arms must have been dropping off.

Mind you, it's a good job they weren't barbel in those keepnets or the Times would have to re-write the headlines...

And pity the poor guy who drew the scales. Imagine cramming all those carp into a purse net and having to lift it up to the tripod, then lower it gently so as not to crush any of those fish at the bottom and then carefully release the fish.

He'll be at the doctors tomorrow after such a ton-tastic sensation of a match. I wonder, are thse fish very difficult to catch or are they simply starving?

It's a good job I'm in a miserable mood today and not a mischeivious one!

C

Chub King

Personally, I prefer not catching any fish as it makes my fishing much easier and more relaxing. Catching fish means I actually have to wake up and be active!
When I blank I can't be accused of mistreating fish and I can't injure myself whilst making the usual Zorro-type strike. Nor can I fall in and drown whilst attempting to safely release a fish back to the water!
As for catching nearly 500lb of carp, just the thought of it is enough to give me a hernia! And just imagine the cost of feeding 12 pints of pellets!
I'd much rather hear more about the fishery surrounded by palm trees and half-naked women. Do these gorgeous girls make a mean cuppa as well as waft you with fronds?

L

Laurie Harper

I was at a match with my angling club at work last Friday, at Framfield fishery in Sussex. The only time I go to commercials is with the works club. The winner caught 456 lb. in 6 hours - average weight 4lb., all on floaters (Mixers) in the margins. I caught 70 odd lb. and came nowhere. I have to say, while it was impressive to see, I found the fishing boring in the extreme, although it was a very well run fishery, where the owners had obviously made an effort to landscape it and make it a pleasant place to be. The sameness of it - identical fish after identical fish - became tedious after a very short while. Yes, I appreciate there is skill in hooking and landing so many fish in such a short time, but it didn't do anything for me. I would generally rather catch a few fish from a wild river where I have to think about what I'm doing, rather than just apply the going method repeatedly. It really was fishing by numbers. OK for some, but not for me. To each his own, I know.

Murray Rogers

Reaction score
It's easy to knock venues cos there "easy", but Gary Thorpe has been winning matches on that one and a few others for a number of years now. It's not everyones cup of tea of course but Gary has been a Match Angler for some time and he has decided to concentrate on commercials and he has had great success because he is a good ANGLER.

He is more than capable of winning on a lot of venues. He has also caught a good selection of specimen fish by design as well.

I was doing the scales on the Grand Union when Mark Pollard weighed in 13lb of Gudgeon to win the match, and he knew how many fish he had taken!!!!!!! It was a great achievement in my eyes and I believe also to the others fishing that match but he was repetitively catching tiddlers for 5 hours, How many Bleak did Pickering catch during a 5 hour match??????????? when he got it right?

Gary Thorpe is a good angler.
He's a very good match angler, and if he put his mind to it he could be good at any aspect of the sport because he has Natural Ability.

So why is he being knocked?????

L

Laurie Harper

Nobody is being "knocked". Everyone has acknowledged that skill, efficiency and ability is certainly needed to take a catch like that. Yhose of us who are less than thrilled at the news have taken pains to limit our comments to the type/style of fishing, not the person who indulges in it.