Fox Bite Alarms....

Malc Bason

Reaction score
I have had a set of 4x Fox RX Digital Bite Alarms for about 18 months.

Up until recently they have been fine as were the Fox alarms I had previously.

A few months ago, one of them started playing up; more recently, whilst fishing in France, 3x of them started playing up! One has packed up completely - dead!

I contacted Fox International and whilst the chap there (Alan Poppy) communicated well, I have to say that I am far from happy with the overall service.

I was told the alarms are covered by a warranty for two years, but as I have no proof of purchase I have to go to the shop where I purchased them and get them to look through their records! They could'nt oblige and suggested I deal with Fox directly!

Back to square one!

Fox now insist I have to pay for their repair! ?27.50 if they are repairable, ?80 each if they require a new board!

I think this is disgusting! ?27.50 is perhaps reasonable, but ?80 for a new board is scandalous! (only ?129 new)

PCB's (printed ciruit boards), once the template is made by the manufacturer, are really cheap thereafter! I think Fox are trying to rip me off, basically!

I have already sent them a cheque for ?82.50, now they say I have to send them another cheque for ?25. Thats a total of ?107.50 just to make good 2x of the alarms!

Anyone else had similar experiences dealing with Fox International Group Ltd?

Neneman Nick

Reaction score
at the end of the day,i think companies try to discourage folk from having items of tackle repaired by charging well over the odds in fees/handling charges etc...
they`d rather you brought brand new from them instead.
i got to admit that it is scandalous.

C

Cakey

Malc .....send me the dud one and I'll have a look for you ...............you never know !

Malc Bason

Reaction score
Thanks for that Cakey.

Fox have them at the moment mate, but will do when I get them back!

J

jon helyer

I think most Fox gear is recogised as being overpriced trash, and this proves the aftersales is even worse!!!!! Fox do the odd good item, but for alarms, stick with Delkims.....

Malc Bason

Reaction score
4x TX1 Plus's and the new Pro6 receiver.

Thank you very much. ;o)

Just need to hear those Delks scream now then!

N

NottmDon

Had a similar thing with a Fox Pod and Mr Poppy more or less gave me the same advice, its company policy that we have to go to whoever we purchased it from. I had receipts as I paid by visa and in all fairness to Fox they honoured the guarantee and sorted it out quickly.Mr Poppy was really quite helpful in my case. Another company I spent nearly a grand with over the last two years on tackle for me and also for pressies sold me a duff headlamp. My cars out of service so my wife took it back and the assistant at Dragon Carp was quite rude and told her the lamp must be five months old (so what?) and refused a refund and couldnt offer a repair as they have discontiued them now. I will be sending a letter to Roger Surgay about this and at the same time inform him that he as lost my custom. As for the lamp well I purchased another one. If I get no joy I will simply take it to the trading standards office. If you have a cheque stub or bank statement you can use that as proof of payment, if you paid cash and you lost your receipt the shop you purchased it from should still be able to help you out, if they dont offer help then take your trade to someone who gives a toss is my advice. If you use plastic to pay, your credit card company on being informed that you are in dispute under the terms of the sale of goods act will get your cash back for you.

Malc Bason

Reaction score
Thanks NottDon.

I paid by credit card, but as I've had so many and have been juggling balances recently, I can't for the life of me remember which one it was on! I do keep statements for a while, but probably not 18 months.

A problem of my own making there, but I never expected I'd need to worry about what I considered to be the best alarms on the market!

I really did expect better of Fox.

Malc Bason

Reaction score
Thats very good of you mate - let me pay you another ?1000

Seriously, for anyone interested, I had an email from Fox (Alan Poppy) noting my previous rant towards them, and he say that Fox, as an act of goodwill, are now prepared to fix all three for the ?82.50 I've already paid.

C

Cakey

Still dont see that as goodwill (getting ?20+ each still)but its better will !

One thing Ive noticed with all tackle shops is NO receits are given and they give you real strange looks when you ask for one

Malc Bason

Reaction score
Yeah, I know what you mean Cakey. The only two places I have known to actually give proper job receipts are Leslies and Brentwood.

N

NottmDon

Spot on cakey! I spent near enough a 100 squid on bits the other day and the receipt was put in the carrier bag, got home and found a) wasnt an itemised receipt and b) it was for ?15! I did check every item off to make sure I wasn't overcharged mind. Genuine mistake or is some tackle shop assistant nearly ?85 up on his wages?

njb51

Reaction score
probably the latter! and they wonder why they are going down the pan some of these places!

B

Big Rik

"I had an email from Fox (Alan Poppy) noting my previous rant towards them"

did he read your post on here Malc or was that another communication with them?

Malc Bason

Reaction score
I emailed my rant Rik. But I did mention that I'd always been full of praise for Fox products on various well known forums, and that this would end!

Maybe he (Fox?) read between the lines and construed it as a vieled threat?