brand name...

Stuart Oliver

Reaction score
Just brought an Gaint bivy, Aven't hear of Gaint before only paid ?12 forit and it's mint! any ideas about the name???

Robbie H

Reaction score
Gaint are an American sports company. I think they made their name in cycling. I believe they have fingers in most sports.

Stuart Oliver

Reaction score
Thanks 4 the replys,I'm from wolverhampton and i don't noif there's a web site link, sorry.

Matt Brown

Reaction score
Giant were part of the Leeda group but the brand name was unsuccessful and much of the gear has been re-branded in the Wychwood range.

Giant bicycles are a separate brand. They hail from Taiwan and are the biggest cycle manufacturere in the world (by volume, not value). They make bikes for many other companies too.

Stuart Oliver

Reaction score
Cheers Matt. Got another question: I have 2x Diawa Whisker carp rod's, i've just seen the same rod (patten number same) for sale saying Diawa/Kevin Nash whisker rods.
Have u heard of them? I brought my rods from a car boot sale for ?20 each, which i thinks a bargin, what do u think? Thanks

Matt Brown

Reaction score
Stuart, I have heard of them. Some people rate them as great Carp rods for close to medium range works as they're nice and soft.

The Whisker range was Daiwa's top of the range stuff. If you put a post on the Carp forum they're will be people who will be able to tell you more about them.

Matt Brown

Reaction score
Oops, the second sentence should read;

"Some people rate them as great Carp rods for close to medium range as they're nice and soft"

Garry

Reaction score
I've noticed Argos are selling quite a range of Giant products including bivvies and shelters.

Matt Brown

Reaction score
I assume it's all old stock - unless they've bought a licence to use the Giant name.

R

Rodney Wrestt

Is it Giant or Gaint you're asking about Stuart?

I have a jacket by Giant, decent piece of kit even after a couple of years, as Matt said they were a part of Leeda.

Stuart Oliver

Reaction score
Cheer's matt brown and everone else for the reply's. Maybe u can help me with something else; I've been fishing a pool and catch fish but only 8lb-11 lb, there are fish in the 20+ and some 30's, Using an helicopter rig with bollie hook baiton one rod and an method feeder with pellet or sweetcorn on the other. Any tips to catch the bigger fish in the pool. My pb at the moment is 12lb which i had on this pool. Thank's

Matt Brown

Reaction score
Stuart, It might be worth starting another thread of regarding how to target the bigger Carp. The title might catch people's attention.

Stuart Oliver

Reaction score
Will do Matt, once again thank's for the input. Lookin at ur profile u like river fishing, i was planing a trip along the river 7 next month as never really tryed river fishing had an chubb be4 but never a barbel. Heard they fight like hell! i live close to the river 7 (ironbridge,brigdenorth)and a lot of good size barbel been catched. Any tips on bait and rigs? I've been told carp tackle is basicly the same, is this true. I'm lookin forward to going, never no a might get hooked like i did with carp! Once again cheer's Matt 4 all the advice.

Matt Brown

Reaction score
Stuart, Barbel do fight hard almost all of the time but with the correct tackle and a bit of experience they can be landed quickly.

If you do fish for Barbel it's important that you don't fish light tackle as you'll get broken or the fight will take ages. Barbel fight with all their might and rarely give up. Consequently, the longer the fight the more they need resting before returning.

It's worth reading up on how to handle Barbel. It's not possible to keep them out of the water as long as most other fish without them going belly up. And unlike other fish they won't right themselves.

Have a read of the Barbel Society's handling code http://www.thebarbelsociety.co.uk/handling.htm.

Sorry if I come across like I'm preaching, but I find that with a little preparation I can net, weigh, photograph and return a Barbel with a minute or so. That means I can cast back in and catch another much sooner and the fish are fine.

Matt Brown

Reaction score
I forgot, there's plenty of information on here and in the magazines about catching Barbel. Read all you can.

It's best using simple rigs and pellets Try some 10mm Elips pellets with two or 3 of them attached to a hair rig.

If you can find Barbel and they are in a feeding mood they can be very easy to catch - much easier than many other species.

Benny The Bream

Reaction score
"I brought my rods from a car boot sale for ?20 each, which i thinks a bargin, what do u think?"

I think they are probably stolen if you buy from a carboot ask for the original receipt my dad had all his gear nicked if we dont buy it scumbags wont nick it!

B

Baz (bad loser and proud of it)

I haven't got any of my reciepts for any of my tackle including rods and reels, which I bought from new.
I would be carefull around boot sales though.

R

Rodney Wrestt

Me either Baz, the little tackle shop I buy from don't offer a reciept unless aked and I know the guy who runs it, so I never ask, any problems and he'll take an item and sort it out. I also agree about the car boot sales but then not everyone has access to Ebay and that's how some choose to get rid of their own tackle.