Weaver Pollution Incident

C

Chub King

Is anyone local to the Weaver and the Dane? There has been a serious incident up there between Winsford and Northwich, the Dane is also involved. Dead babs everywhere....
Can anyone find out more? Can anyone take any digital photos? Baz, that's your neck of the woods isn't it?

colsmiff

Reaction score
I was at Croxton Bridge on Monday afternoon. The water was literally awash with dead fish. There were at least ten barbel bellyup on the weir. Eels and chub as well.
The river was heavily coloured and stank.
Unfortunately, I didn't have a camera with me, it was a very saddening sight.

I then went upstream to Byley Bridge, although the waters were low they were clear.

The pollution appears to have come from the Crocco tributary.

colsmiff

Reaction score
The Dane incident and the Weaver incident are separate according to a report in the Northwich Guardian this morning. There is no HTML link as yet.

P

Phil Hackett PCPL with Pride

Imprison the B******s who have done this for along time! Unlimited asset stripping of the company, farm, individual responsible, if the state is to set an example.

This is for those who don?t know the Dane and the areas affected - equivalent to Adams Mill and Kickles Farm and everything between being polluted.

It is without doubt an environmental CRIME of the highest order.

Yes the EA probably will prosecute. The perpetrators will be fined between 10 and 30K! The ACA will recover compo for the loss of fish and restocking will take place. AND THE SECTIONS OF RIVER WILL TAKE 20 YEARS TO F*****G RECOVER.

Angry me?.. NO BLEEDING FURIOUS!

Blunderer

Reaction score
I don't f**ckin believe this.
After all the problems we NorthWest anglers have had this summer.
I feel gutted - my favourite part of my favourite river.

G

Gary Knowles 2

Phil,

I didn't know anything about this.

Where is the pollution from and how far d/s has it gone.

Terrible news for NW anglers following on from the Dee disaster...

P

Gary
From the top weir Winsford length Croxton, down the river to the confluence I suspect with the Weaver.

C

Chub King

Can anyone provide pics, if not of the incident, then headshots of themselves that we can use alongside quotes covering the story, what we call 'voxpops'. Anyone wants to talk to us for quotes or other info please give me a call on 01733 465673.
Cheers.

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
Was only thinking of visiting the Dane last night. The best small river Chub and Barbel fishing in the NW

This news is devastating. A lovely little river as Phill says ruiened for the next 20 years.

Ric Elwin

Reaction score
I'm gutted by this, even though the length I fish appears to be unaffected.

If this is anything other than a total accident the person/s who caused this should be fined to the full extent of ALL their assets. No piss poor 2 or 5 thousand pound fines, try hundreds of thousands.

It about time that the arseholes who cause such incidents fear the consequences of their actions.

R

Robert Woods 1

Even though I don't fish effected area I used to in the 70's for nice bags of chub. Another NW loss.

F

Fred Bonney

Why has nobody come forward with proof of this and the Rother incidents.
It's all very well ranting about it,but nobody appears to have evidence.
Without this you are fighting a loosing battle.

P

Fred with respect, there is evidence and the EA is well aware of it. What they won?t do is state it in public, for fear of wrecking their ability to prosecute the offenders under the subjudice rule.

I have also received several e-mails from people regarding the evidential fact.

Andy S

Reaction score
The Danes my favourite fishing spot and I can't believe something like this has happened, it really makes me feel sick. I hope they catch the b*stards that did this.

colsmiff

Reaction score
Eddie, as far as I could see the river is affected below the Croco, the waters at Byley were clear.
No news yet of how far downstream is affected. Hopefully the pollution will have diluted out when it meets the Weaver.