lobworms

Disco stu

Reaction score
i have instructed one of my pipeline gangs to collect lobworms for me.
any idea how to store them and how long they will last?

P

Phil Hackett PCPL with Pride

Dave
Place a 6-9 inch deep grass sod in a lidded deep container. Don't put more than 30 worms in each container. Lobs feed on leaves, so about once a week add a handful of brown leaves to them. Plenty this time of year. Also add half a cupfull of rainwater every 2 weeks. Keep the containers in a cool, dark and dry place Don't under cercumstances allow frost to get at them and the worms should be OK for as long as you want them.

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

Check for any dead ones from time to time and remove.

I've heard of ghillies but personal bait collection teams!I bet they love you.

Disco stu

Reaction score
cheers phil and nigel.
re personal bait collectors, i allocate the easy high earning jobs,i get plenty of lobworms = everyone is happy!!! fair trade in my book.

G

Ged

I use to go to a local farm and dig in the dung heap on my way to go fishing, nice and fresh in many ways.

M

MarkTheSpark

Sorry to resurrect this old thread but does anyone have a better idea than Phil's of filling a vast box with an old sod (sounds like Robert Maxwell's burial!).

I'm sure there are methods of storing them that involve something other than sods and moss; can't I use some other medium for my collection?

njb51

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>MarkTheSpark wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

can't I use some other medium for my collection?</blockquote>

Try Derek Acora....

I know....i'm going!

steve axworthy

Reaction score
there was a bloke on tv other day and he kept his in a ply wood box (to your own desired size ) and he kept his worms in damp newspaper just have to make sure it does not dry out did not catch how long they last though, alway find my worms under plant containers etc in garden when weather is damp.

F

Fred Bonney

I keep mine in a lidded small plastic bucket in the garage.

I started them off with dead leaves ,shredded newspaper and the occasional mashed spud,not salted.

Now I top them up with damp moss.

blankety blank

Reaction score
What's wrong with Moss Mark. You can filla couple of placcy bags full in no time at all, and it lasts for months. Worms love it too, in my experience they do much better in moss than they do in soli or newspaper.