Is this healthy

R

Ron Clay

Recently on the Trent I have been walking up to 2 miles with a rucksack and quiver strapped to my back. Yesturday I must have tramped 3 miles through quite rough terrain. When I eventually arrived back at car a felt quite dizzy and nausious for several minutes.

Should I be doing this in my 60th year.

Any Docs or medics out there for comment

R

Richard Drayson

I`m not a Doc or anything but it sounds as though a check-up might be a good idea Ron. Do you carry a mobile phone with you when you go fishing? I take mine every trip, just in case!

R

Ron Clay

Yes I do. I had a complete check up two months ago and complained to the doc about odd pains in my elbows when fly casting as well as tiredness on a few occasions.

All he told me was that I should be concious of my age and not try to do the things I could do with ease in my 30s and 40s.

Very frustrating because I cannot stay up all night fishing any more.

T

The Seeker of Truth & Justice

Dont even try. get yourself some good bite alarms and get your head down. Nothing wrong with that, thousands of us do it every week.

R

Richard Drayson

Ron, I know exactly how you feel and I`m only 42!
My back problems have severly restricted my fishing, more so in recent months. Looking on the positive side though, I`m due an MRI scan shortly so hopefully something can be sorted out.

S

Stewart Bloor

Although I do sympathise with you oldies...as I'm young, sleek, and extremely fit, not to mention handsome and debonair, I can only cotemplate the days when I too get caught up with that dreaded inevitable known as 'old age'....

As a matter of fact last week on the Dove I did my bit for Help The Aged....I carried Mcwallet's rucksac for him when he simply couldn't take any more....

D

David Will

Ron you have got to get a barrow.I ruptured a disc four years ago whilst sculling , thats behind me but even so I take no risks even on day trips.I find moving swims easy and I can take more bait.They are expensive but worth every penny.I find mine especially good for those Fen Zander trips where long walks to neglected areas can pay off.For info Sheffield Carp Cabin are doing them for ?119 a lot cheaper than other shops.I am a physical training instructor and i suggest that you undertake a training regime three times a week if you plan three mile hikes.After a couple of months you will be in a better position to take on such hikes.

P

Paul Thompson

Ron, I agree with David. Was it a warm day, as it sounds like you may have suffered from atouch of heatstroke. Dizziness and nausea are symptoms of such. Try taking on more fluids to counterbalance the loss of bodily ones, which happen through sweating etc. Its not a sympton of age, just that you are trying to do too much without preparing your body for it. I went down with this in Kenya, in 93. I was 22, and i thought I was dying...And cause I'm a silly bugger, I went down with it in May this yaer whilst spodding furiously in Milton Keynes. As soon as the headaches started and I began throwing up Iknew I'd overdone it, and hadn't taken on enough fluids.I'm still a fit bloke too...;o(

C

Carp Angler

for ?119 a lot cheaper than other shops.

Not as cheap as B&Q, theirs are ?15...

Ron, admit that you're old, give up trying to be young, hang around post offices on a Thursday smelling of urine and complaining that powdered eggs aren't as good as they were in the war.
You'll soon feel right at home with all the others.

B

Birds Nest

Rik, you've forgotton the Alchol

Cheap Cider is the in thing round Central Derby Ron, you need to put down about 6 litres for Brekkie from what I can tell... If you can yell at a few mothers as the walk their kids to school even better....

Seriously.. Having just spent 12 days in Dubai I think you had a bit of the old sun stroke mate...

M

Malcolm Bason

"Not as cheap as B&Q, theirs are ?15..." I can't beat that Ron, but I do think if its practicable, get a barrow mate! It helps sooooo much.

Me, I bought a brand new barrow from Focus DIY, unbolted the metal bucket, attached 3 bits of plywood, varnished the wood, attached strips of carpet gripper on the underside for the bungee starps and bobs yer auntie - one much cheepness carp porter.

:eek:)

R

Ron Clay

Sedge, I thought you meant his wallet. That really must be heavy.

I have had heat stroke on two occasions in South Africa, both when trekking in the mountains of Natal after wild rainbows in the streams. Not very pleasant. I drank a whole stack of water from the Umzimkulu. About 3 weeks later I contracted bilharzia. Not funny!!

S

Stewart Bloor

Ron, why don't you get a team of porters. I could just imagine you, strolling along the bank, all khaki clad, followed by a string of African natives in loin clothes, just like the old Tarzan movies.

One with your chair on his head, one with your rods, one with your bait bucket, and so on.

In fact, why even walk? Get them to carry you in one of those chairs that has poles at each end.

R

Ron Clay

Yes and sitting on the veranda of my house, listening to the grunt of lions and the native drums with a glass of whisky in one hand and a rifle in the other. "I say Carruthers the natives are restless tonight what?"

I remember not so long ago sitting with the windows open of my hotel room in Birmingham with police sirens screaming and cars passing making boom boom noises and thinking much the same thing!

S

Stewart Bloor

''I remember not so long ago sitting with the windows open of my hotel room in Birmingham with police sirens screaming''

Ah, that must have been the night Paul Williams escaped.....

R

Ron Clay

Does anyone know a means of silencing the dreaded summer booming car scenario?

I have often sat quietly by the Trent listening to the larks in the sky and the hum of insects in the sedges. Then over the breeze comes the booming of numerious vehicles from the nearby A1 which destroys all the pleasure in being there.

Are there any electronics experts around who could devise a bug that would shut off the boom booming!!

S

Stewart Bloor

Ron, bring back Capital punishment...that'll teach them...

''and the hum of insects in the sedges''...ah, that must be my pet money spider singing itself to sleep....

Hey, that's me done...I'm off to do some work...

D

David Will

Wheel barrows , you guys cannot be serious :)! Might be alright for persons of reduced stature with a bag of biolies but for a six three southerner with buckets and buckets of particles and groundbait it has to be a custom job.Anyway this is the Colne Valley I fish in and anything less than the dogs doodahs would see me banished to the West Midlands.