Jack Hargreaves

jef bertels

Reaction score
Does anyone know if Jack Hargreaves's Gone Fishing series is available for sale or to view?

I gather he made 28 episodes starting in 1959.

I wonder if anyone bought the rights and has reproduced them, like they did with Out of Town?

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
I used to enjoy watching Jack, gone fishing and Out of Town.

Would be good to see it again, to see how things have moved on.

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
I think you'd find that the tapes were not kept. Of over 800 episodes of Out of Town only 19 still exist. I'd love to see some of the Out of Town episodes that I remember from my youth.

jef bertels

Reaction score
I used to enjoy watching Jack, gone fishing and Out of Town.

Would be good to see it again, to see how things have moved on.

I've got the Out of Town episode where they gag and gaff the pike :eek: The done thing at the time but I wince when I see it.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I think you'd find that the tapes were not kept. Of over 800 episodes of Out of Town only 19 still exist. I'd love to see some of the Out of Town episodes that I remember from my youth.

I actually have the box set of Jack Hargreeves dvd's compiled by himself in 1988. There are 53 episodes in the box set of nine dvd's. I believe Jack hargreeves bought the rights from the tv company and made this compilation himself. I picked mine up off ebay brand new a couple of years ago and they still come up on a regular basis.

http://www.play.com/DVD/DVD/4-/3304770/Out-Of-Town-Vol-1-9-Box-Set/Product.html

Last edited:

George387

Reaction score
I actually have the box set of Jack Hargreeves dvd's compiled by himself in 1988. There are 53 episodes in the box set of nine dvd's. I believe Jack hargreeves bought the rights from the tv company and made this compilation himself. I picked mine up off ebay brand new a couple of years ago and they still come up on a regular basis.

Out Of Town: Volume 1-9 Box Set - DVDs at Play.com (UK)

Like yourself tigger I have the DVD set and also bought 2 of Jacks Books from fleebay as that was the highlight on tv when I was younger...brilliant series.
I paid around £50 for the boxed set last year if you look in ebay today they are going for around the same price for the collection.

Last edited:

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
According to the biography of Hargreaves there are 28 remaining of Out of Town (I thought it was 19 but must be confused:eek:). That makes me wonder whether the others are 'The Old Country'?

Do any of the Out of Town ones include Owen Wentworth?

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
I did a little research a couple of years ago which corresponds with Marks number of 28 surviving episodes of "Out of Town". They were available on nine DVDs, 3 or 4 episodes on each DVD, published by Contender Entertainment Group (2004), now Entertainment One Ltd (who no longer list the episodes).

Paul Peacocks "Jack Hargreaves - A Portrait" was published in 2006 by Farming Books and Videos Ltd (no longer in existence) and contains a full listing of Out of Town broadcasts from the first in July 1960 to the last in 1982, over 1,000 editions, the huge majority of which were never retained by Southern Television.

"Old Country" was broadcast from 1983 to October 1985. It's unclear how many episodes were retained but some of the youtube clips listed as Out of Town are definately not!

"Gone Fishing" was first broadcast in 1959 again by Southern Television. Just 28 episodes, none of which were archived.

I had the distinct pleasure of meeting and talking with Jack Hargreaves on two occassions on the Stour. So many years later, I still vividly recall those meetings, brilliant!

"Cheerio"

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
My favourite was the one where he goes skate fishing and is so knackered and unfit from smoking he stops to have a rest (and a pipe) after 15 minutes. The skate gets off during this rest but jack don't realise and goes back to pumping up a pound of lead, convinced he's still playing a 150lb skate! :D Classic!

What a wonderful character though. You couldn't improve on it at the time.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I think all 53 episodes on the box set I have are out of town. Some of them do look very early episodes. I think one or two may be late 70's. They're excellent and great viewing, I often have the urge to watch them over again as I don't tire of them.

Matthew Nightingale (ACA)

Reaction score
I have a three or four set DVD which doesn't have many fishing episodes but the one it does have is him going chub fishing in a howling gale. As I remember he ended up completely fishless and talking about how stupid it was to go fishing in that weather!

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
I think all 53 episodes on the box set I have are out of town. Some of them do look very early episodes. I think one or two may be late 70's. They're excellent and great viewing, I often have the urge to watch them over again as I don't tire of them.

Intriguing as most sources only claim the 28 Out of Town episodes survive.

I was told that the camera man (the brilliant Stan Brehaut) "may have had" quite a few copies/versions/unused clips etc, which sounds quite probable as he filmed over 1,000 episodes. Perhaps the various production and distribution companies have made use of that sort of archive. Stan Brehaut died in 2005.

And I agree Tigger, I also enjoy watching their work.

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
The DVD boxed sets have 9 x 3 programmes ie 27 but each programme has two subjects which might be where the 53 (possibly 54) comes from.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
The DVD boxed sets have 9 x 3 programmes ie 27 but each programme has two subjects which might be where the 53 (possibly 54) comes from.

I've just looked at the box set and there are 27 episodes. Some do have two parts to each episode but some episodes only have one subject ie episode 19 stour river and episode 27 long distance ride.

stu_the_blank

Reaction score
I bought the set about a year ago, fabulous trip down memory lane. My daughters other half has 'borrowed' them, I don't think that you have to have been of the era to appreciate the magic of Jack.

I think that they are still available new from Amazon if you are stuck for Christmas presents.

sibadd

Reaction score
Re: Jack Hargreaves Out of Town and Old Country

It may be of interest that I'm streaming clips from Jack Hargreaves' 'Old Country' made between 1982-1985 for Channel 4 (successor to Southern Television's Out of Town 1960-1981) kindly sent me by people who recorded them at the time. Of course they are not all about fishing:

If anyone would like the URL of specific angling films I've streamed on YouTube or Vimeo I'm happy to share it. I'm keen to locate further copies of tapes people may have made back in the 70s and 80s, as these are often the only films I have of my stepfather's work. The DVD compilation JH made in 1986 contains 27 location films by Stan Bréhaut, a tiny sample of the films Jack made with Stan over 21 years. The DVD compilation (about to be reissued by Delta, licensed by Endemol) are also called 'Out of Town' but were made with a new commentary by Jack. I've no rights over these and Endemol's lawyers have been pursuing people who rip and stream them. I'm all the keener to make JH's films that do come to light, even where they are of poor quality, available on the web. Kindest regards and Happy new Year 2012. s.j.baddeley@bham.ac.uk

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
To those of "a certain age" that is excellent news. I hope you are successful in tracking down and preserving as much of Jack's work as you can find.

Thanks for the links, excellent Facebook page, my request has been sent!

Thank you and good luck.