John's bass book

Jim Gibbinson

Reaction score
I was fortunate to count John Darling as a friend. We fished for bass together at Seaford and at Beachy Head. He lived bass - I'm sure he had bass blood running through his veins! He was a true eccentric, too - not a contrived eccentric, but the real deal (as an example, he had a university degree in English but chose to work as a night-watchman!) The re-print of his wonderful book is essential reading for every bass-addict.

P

Phil & Jo Hyde

John was a friend of mine for thirty years or more...we met when we were being taught the intricacies of surfcasting by our mentor, Dennis darkin, from whom John got the idea of working nights as a nightwatchman, as was Dennnis, so the days were free for fishing. Good in theory, it fell down on a trip to Grafham Water where I found a snoring J.D. at the entrance to Savages creek, with an annoyed trout hanging on his fly (it was released!) He stayed with me in south Devon regularly, partly for the fishing, and was entranced by my wife Jo, over whom he had no influence whatsoever!! What John didn't know about Bass wasn't worth worrying about, and as Bass were the sea anglers premier fish, it followed that John had no problem with all the other species. As a life member of BASS, he was invited to the 2004 AGM of the society, where he was to have been presented with the Fellowship of the society; he never made it, a brain tumour beat him to it, and it was my sad duty to attend his funeral at Seaford in sussex that February. His books are I consider required reading for any angler aspiring to be the best. I will miss him for the rest of my life.
Phil Hyde