Winter campaigns

M

Mark Hodson

For the first time in a good few years i'm going to do some winter carp fishing. Nothing to hard, just a local syndicate and the odd day session at Cuttle mill and a few other day ticket waters.
When I used to do a lot of wintercarp fishing I used to change everything come October to suit the colder weather, bait (fishmeal to birdfood/protein mix) and rig (switch from braid to nylon and smaller hooks).
Do many of you out there still make this deliberate switch in tactics or have the warmer winters and increased stocking levels meant that the majority just carry on as they were in the summer just cutting back on the feed levels ?

L

Little Stu!

If only they did carry on the same Mark, what a wonderful thought though. Even through the summer I don't tend to throw a lot of bait out so application won't be too different for me, although I will be increasing flavour levels surrounding my hookbait and will drop down a hooksize accompanied by lighter line.

L

Little Stu!

talking of winter sessions, u sorting the stow out cakey or what?

We've got to get a few more day's out together this autumn and winter. Remember that gravesend park puddle, how much fun was that? thats a few yeqars back now old timer!

B

Big Rik

yeah, another Stow trip before winter really bites would be good.

October?

B

Bully

You said November in your other post?

Mark - listen to Little Stu, he is red hot on winter fishing.........allegedly.

B

Big Rik

then I thought that October has half term, so a few would be no go's.

C

Cakey

Mark I tend to fish single bottom baits that have been glugged but I dont do that until really really cold otherwise its normal summer tactics for me

njb51

Reaction score
Would you change the areas you fished to? as in would you concentrate on only the deeper water when it gets really cold?

C

Cakey

Depends I look for the fish first ,if no signs I fish a known summer feeding area

njb51

Reaction score
Would they not change their feeding areas when its cold though, prefering instead to lie in the deeper, warmer water?

C

Cakey

they might lie there but they feed where the food is ........................if that makes sense

njb51

Reaction score
so they'l sit in the deep water until they need to feed, then they will come up to the shallower water where they usually feed?

Do they feed less in the colder weather?

B

Bully

"deeper, warmer water?"

Why is deep water warmer ? When you swim in the sea, or a pool, the deeper you go the colder it gets.

I know all about thermoclines etc and the impact of sun on cold water (in winter), and warm winds, but to me a deep ressie (e.g 'Stow) would not necessarily hold warm water at the bottom??? Would it??

C

Cakey

oh no Wol will be copying and pasting soon as...........................

L

Little Stu!

VERY VERY VERY VERY INTERESTING........to me that means we shouldn't be fishing on the bottom in the real cold months.....

B

Big Rik

depends on the depth, lakes under 20 feet deep aren't going to have a thermocline.

Fish will sit at a comfortable pressure and temp, but will feed where there is food.
If you can find the depth they are sat at, you may be able to tempt one. (zig?)
Otherwise it's find their feeding spots and wait for them to move to them (or intercept on the way)

njb51

Reaction score
..but fishing in the thermocline layer, or just below it.

I swear there was an article on this on FM last year. I'll see if i can dig it out.