Tying your own flies

I

Ian Cloke

HERE is an amusing story about a chap who ties his own flies, using road kill.

I'm sorry if it's been posted on here before, but it is worth a read.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

It's a nice story Ian.

It reminds me of the time when a South African cousin of my wife's had all her long brunette hair cut off.

She had to because she became a ballet dancer and went to ballet school in Capetown.

She showed us the plastic bag of hair that had been renoved at the hair dresser. She had beautiful hair, very straight, but I had other ideas.

When no-one was looking I grabbed a hank of that hair and used it to tie a number of hair wing patterns that caught many trout.

I still have a bit of it left.

Carolyn will be 48 years of age now, and when I stole that bit of hair she was 17.

I hope she never reads this.

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I got quite a lot of my materials from rad kills, icluding pheasent hare, fox and even badger. A50 specials they were.

As for cul de cunard.
If they mean bum fluff, why don't they say so.

davestocker

Reaction score
Big warning! Plumage/fur from roadkill can contain all sorts of bugs & mites that can destroy all your fly tying furs and feathers, if kept in the same place. Don't know how you should treat stuff you find, but treat it you must!

I

Ian Cloke

Fair comment Dave.

If you stretch fur then scrape the fat off thoroughly. Then salt it,leave it to dry out completely, it should be safe. You can then dye it if you wish.

G

Ged

Good comment Baz. HA HA
I think its epson salts that is used!

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Aaahhh, but the twin rod and tweed set wouldn't think of calling it that Ged (o