ROCK SNOT

Tony Stevens

Reaction score
Coarse fishers in New Zealand urgently need info on "Rock Snot" an algae sometimes known as "Didymo"
Scientific name Didmosphenia geminata.
This northern hemisphere organisem has reached the southern hemisphere and been identified on the South Island in 3 major trout and salmon river systems and is expected to be wide spread throughout the southern area where it has become a major biosecurity threat.
The NZ Biosecurity Service is in the process of restricting access and use of identified waters by anglers and such users as rafters kayackers etc.
We are told that the prefered habitat for this organisem are clear cool rivers so far!
Does anyone have knowledge of effects on coarse fish stocks and waters?
Is Rock Snot able to become a problem in warmer still waters with clouded water from either sediments in suspension of free floating algae?
Are any coarse fish known (and proven) to be benificial in controlling this algae?
All info, esspecially research results,
will be greatfully recieved.
Thank you,
Tony Stevens

P

Phil Hackett PCPL with Pride

Tony you gave US New Zealand Stonecrop (Crassula helmsii), We gave you Rock Snot (Didmosphenia geminata). Fair exchange is no robbery mate!

On a serious note if you e-mail me I?ll supply you with some contacts names that might be able to help.

Beecy

Reaction score
I have no idea about this subject, but ROCK SNOT - what a cracking name!