Oh! dear, no camera

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Yesterday I caught a lovely big roach, 2.5lbs to be exact, on the Severn below Worcester, only the second 2lb roach I've ever caught. I never carry a camera and after I packed up I went to see my mate John Jones who was fishing 100 yards upstream of me. I told him about this roach and he said "why didn't you call me, I'd loved to have seen that". I explained that I was long way away from him and no way would I carry it along the bank, neither did I have a keepnet, I never do, and I had no camera to photograph it, so back it went.

It wasn't until last night when I was thinking about the day that I suddenly realised I had a mobile phone with a camera that I could have used, what a plonker eh! I also had three nice barbel as well that I could have recorded and didn't, but maybe this will serve to remind me to think of modern technology the next time.

F

Fred Bonney

Oh Graham,what a shame,I carry mine everywhere now,since leaving it at home once and catching my pb chub.
Having said that, I've not had much chance to use it since,well not without a witness,photographing for me...with their camera!

Beecy

Reaction score
Graham, the picture you will keep in your mind of that roach will be better than any photo could have been.

Beecy

Reaction score
You've realy pissed me off now Graham, here I am stuck at home with a bad back and your talking about 2.5lb roach!

Matt Brown

Reaction score
I don't want to make you feel worse, but what a shame.

If I'm ever lucky enough to catch a Roach that big I'll definately be getting a photo of it, even if I have to call a mate and get him to travel 200 miles to take the shot!

B

Bully

Great fish - better no pici, big fish than nice camera and no fish!!

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

Well done Graham, sounds a great day.

My PB Barbel had to go back without a picture as my camera had no film in.I can still recall it to this day though.Nobody can take away the fact that you caught the fish and thats the main thing.

W

Wolfman Woody

It's his age.

But it proves the camera curse once again. No camera - great catch. Take a camera - and I bet you wouldn't have caught!

(the fish probably knew you wouldn't think of using your phone.)

Why not paint a picture of it whilst it's fresh in your mind? We'll believe it.

M

Mark Hodson

Nice fish Graham, was it on the float, and did you catch many other roach ?

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Yesterday I spent 2 hours trotting a float through for one half pound roach and not another bite, on caster. I then switched to a feeder with caster in the feeder and on the hook, not a sausage.

I switched to a 14mm halibut pellet for the barbel and within 10 minutes I had a 9lb 3oz one that went like stink, then I had one 15 minutes later that I never weighed but estimated at around 6lb. I then spent an hour watching and feeling little twitches that I suspected were roach or small bream, when one of these twitches developed into about 9 inch pull that just stayed there. I lifted into what I took to be small chub by the fight not that it was much of one on 12lb line and a 10lb hooklength. I couldn't believe it when it came up, there was this beautiful pristine roach looking at me, and a 14mm pellet hanging from its mouth, amazing.

I only had one more barbel that went just over 8lb but it was a good day all in all.

John Jones had over 20lb of quality roach all on the stick to caster and quite a few of these were of the pound size so he thoroughly enjoyed himself as well. Surprisingly neither of us had a chub, which are quite thick on the ground round there, the Kempsey area.

S

Scott Whatmore 2

Woody, 'Why not paint a picture of it whilst it's fresh in your mind? We'll believe it.'

Have you seen my Dad's watercolours?

ooh thats a loveley.. ah.. erm.. ooer.. What is it?

Only joking Dad :eek:)