Whats your winter tips and what baits will you be on after the ice.?

tortoise100

Reaction score
Last year for me it was cotwold baits 10mm techno pops in maple the pink ones were the best .

This year i have bought some bait tech 10mm mixed pop ups in shelfish flavour to try because they have some green ones that I am keen on .

I found that a strict casting each rod every 20 minutes to a new area till the swim had been covered with a small pva bag of pellets soaked in cotswold baits tutti frutti was the winner last winter for me i even keep a stop watch around my neck .That apraoch would usaully get me at least one fish every two hours even on a bad day when there was still cat ice in the margins my theory being that since I was the only one who fished the venue at this time mine was the only bait ging in so it is just a case of putting it in front of there noses .

This year i will be going for mapple and tigger nut glug on a piece of foam next to the lead if that doesn't work then I will have to shell out on a winterized glug proberbly from cotswold since they do work for me though I am not sure what flavours to get for this winter yet ? any ideas ?

Ian Gemson

Reaction score
For me its EA pineapple 60% and betaine 40% this gives a sweet intense pineapple flavour to which I dip a 12mm HBS pineapple pop up. For me this has been very successful last winter.

dannytaylor

Reaction score
In winter and early spring i like to use Mainline fruit tella pop ups, richworth tutti frutti pop ups. Fish these as singles no pva or loose offerings. I like to present these on a stiff hinged rig or chod depending on what type of laked bed im fishing on.

mitron

Reaction score
winter bait

Active bait solutions fifth element or gnz awsome winter baits

tortoise100

Reaction score
Odd that you have found Mainline fruit tella pop ups to be a good bait me and a friend have found them to be suprisingly bad considering the size and colour which was why they were purchased .
I have caught once with them and my friend not at all yet they are the closest thing in size and colour to the pink fluro pops that were the best winter bait by a mile last year.
I have also found mainline cell boiles to be a disapointment ,if you believe the angling press the sun shines out of mainlines **s* when it comes to catching but I can only say they are below average in my experiance and smaller cheaper bait companys as well as home made stuff always out fishes them.
I still have some fruit tella pop ups so will be using them but will suprised if they do the business .
The mainline cell were bought because they are perfect for making fake dog buscuits but I have now moved on to using carp flies, much better.

Tutti frutti has always worked far better for me as a glug than as as an actuall boilie and I have found that the very thick cotswold one is better than the cheaper thinner varieties.

mol

Reaction score
I don't tend to much actual carp fishing in the winter, I tend to spend the time plotting and planning for my coming campaign.

If I do go carp fishing then it's maggots, casters and the mag-aliner

dannytaylor

Reaction score
Odd that you have found Mainline fruit tella pop ups to be a good bait me and a friend have found them to be suprisingly bad considering the size and colour which was why they were purchased .
I have caught once with them and my friend not at all yet they are the closest thing in size and colour to the pink fluro pops that were the best winter bait by a mile last year.
I have also found mainline cell boiles to be a disapointment ,if you believe the angling press the sun shines out of mainlines **s* when it comes to catching but I can only say they are below average in my experiance and smaller cheaper bait companys as well as home made stuff always out fishes them.
I still have some fruit tella pop ups so will be using them but will suprised if they do the business .
The mainline cell were bought because they are perfect for making fake dog buscuits but I have now moved on to using carp flies, much better.

Tutti frutti has always worked far better for me as a glug than as as an actuall boilie and I have found that the very thick cotswold one is better than the cheaper thinner varieties.

Mainline fruit tella pops are a fantastic bait had plenty of winter carp on them. Had this lovely common last December at 29Ib :)

243.jpg

cg74

Reaction score
Assuming your venue isn't full of nuisance fish, maggots, maggots and more MAGGOTS!!:)

If you are on a water with lots of bait robbing species, a high grade lo-oil fish based (yes fish based) boilie well glugged and with walnut sized pva with finely ground up boilies (the same as your hook bait), works for me.;)

Location is the real key though...:cool: