Big Pit Reels

Andy Pet

Reaction score
Hi - I need some advice. Just upgraded my old Shimano Baitrunners to some Daiwa Emblem Pro's. I would like your advice on the best way to fish with these. Obviously with no baitrunner I assume that you either slacken the clutch off for fish to take line or fish with an open bail arm with the line clipped up to the rod. Common sense says the clutch option is best. However, I'd like to know your views.

Also, with never owning Daiwa's or front drag reels before, does the drag system slacken off through use?

Thanks.

njb51

Reaction score
Never used these before but i imagine you open the bail arm and use a butt hanger withthem.

Probably not best to rely on the clutch as these sometimes 'stick' and take a bit more effort to get them moving properly, which can result in your being dragged in!

The second question:

Do you mean; does the drag system wear down over time? It probably wears down but you'd have to own them for a very long time before it became an issue!

L

Little Stu!

Andy I moved from baitrunners to big spool pits a few years ago and haven't looked back since. If you've been using baitrunners then yes, they are gonna take a bit of getting used to. You gotta set your clutch to what you feel is right, pull your line through and test each time you put the rod back on the buzzer as opposed to just setting it once a year with a normal baitrunner.

It don't take long to get used to but well worth it and a good choice Andy.

Andy Pet

Reaction score
Cheers so far guys. Trouble is they are a birthday pressie so my wife won't let me use them till next weekend :( Still I can get some new line on them and drool for a week.

I almost bought the Shimano Power Aero 6000XT's but they didn't feel like 200 quids worth of reel. Plus the Emblem's were a darn sight cheaper so now I can get my Sleeka Snugpak jacket as well (in case you don't know about them they are THE warmest jacket you can get and leave all the well known fishing jackets a long way away).

L

Little Stu!

Nice one Andy, although I've got to say that ?200 for the powers is well worth the money!

I've got the techniums - now they really are a nice piece of kit.

B

Big Rik

I'd disagree, the Power Aero XT's are absolutely superb.

Definitely slacken the clutch as Stu suggests, you'll get used to it almost immediately, just don't slacken it too far.

Jonny
"Never used these before but i imagine you open the bail arm and use a butt hanger withthem."

tut tut tut....

njb51

Reaction score
by 'never used them before', i meant i have never used the Daiwa's andy was on about. I have, and still use a similar reel and have the same problem.

B

Big Rik

you can always get the Daiwa baitrunner conversion knobs, although they can be slightly troublesome.
They replace the clutch knob, but have a release bar that compresses the clutch washers, thus freeing the spool.
Long term it may cause more rapid deteriation of the washers and if the bar is not engaged fully, can cause distortion of the worm shaft.

F

Frothey

echo what rik says above, but then it was an excuse to get some new reels!

just make sure the reels got a decent clutch....

Wooly

Reaction score
When fishing to open water I always undo the front drag. When you get a bite cup the spool as you pick the rod up to stop line being pulled off and tighten the clutch once the fish is on. It gets a bit more complicated when you need to be in immediate control, as when fishing to snags, where you want to be turning the handle and cranking the fish in as soon as you pick the rod up. In these circumstances I revert back to good old baitrunners.

L

Little Stu!

With the shimano aeros 8000 baitrunners of which I've still got three, I used to only use the one clutch, the baitrunner clutch, when A fish took off I'd play the fish using mostly backwinding. I rememebr having a long chat with Cakey's son Ian and the benefits he founbd of using a big pit with no baitrunner extras etc. I took the plunge and never looked back. If you want to buy a rell with a baitrunner, then do so as they would have been designed that way, adding a baitrunner to a reel after purchase doesen't seem mechanically sound.

Andy Pet

Reaction score
Cheers Guys - I have studied the Korda DVD's today looking at how Danny F used to use his reels. It appears he slackened off the clutch and then cupped his hand and tightened the clutch again - prior to someone taking his tackle. Hope he gets it back as tackle theft isn't on!

Looks like the advice I have been given is spot on - I still say, being an engineer, that the Shimanos are over priced - but then I haven't used them - I see they are bringing the freespool in on cheaper models now too - if you can find them.

When I use the reels next week on a local runs water at Samlesbury I'll let you know how I got on or if I had to phone the insurance up for lost rods!!!!

B

Big Rik

use gripping rear rests and either a stable pod or single sticks until you're sure of the correct tension to have on the slackened clutch.

Andy Pet

Reaction score
Good point - may try and set up in the garden and get my wife to try pulling (so to speak). Failing that I'll tie it to next doors cat!

L

Les Clark

I use Daiwa emblems 5000a`s ,just set the clutch has normal (not loose )open bail arm and use a plastic line clip on the rod ,no problem .

Andy Pet

Reaction score
So do you manually close the bailarm or do you let it close using the, erm, auto bailarm closer (which appears to tw~t the arm shut rather than auto close it).

Apologies for the comment.