Old or New reels?

Fishing Gimp

Reaction score
In the REEL-Y article by Kevin Perkins some very valid views expressed about some of the older reels being better made than the latest 'wonder' kit coming from the far east. I found myself agreeing with all but the last paragraph when Kevin mused about a reel with a spinning spooland a fixed rotor....no,no,no has he ever tried to use an Alcocks Stanley which uses exactly that principle. Line twist and various other fun and frolics are the result.

If he really wants a reliable reel for spinning get on ebay and buy an Abu 55 or Mitchel 306 a big heavy reel but built like a tank mine, was purchased in 1971 and still going strong no problem.

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
We poor southpaws haven't been able to buy a usable reel since the Cardinal 664, Abu Dragmasters, and Mitchell 207, 209, 309, 409,and 307. Somebody complained to one of the comix last year, and some sniffy *** from D***a said it didn't affect their reels because they were ambidextrous. No they bluddy aren't, they're right-handed reels whiich we're invited to put the handles on the wrong side of, and then wonder why we cast like apes. If I could afford a lawyer, I'd bring a case under the trade descriptions act.
Back to ebay, with steam coming out of my ears.

G

Ged

Check out Shakesphear.
Bought quite a large spinning reel that was less than ?30. cannot remember exact details as it is up in the loft and have only used twice last year, but it seams to do the job.

Jim Bowdrey

Reaction score
Kevin - brilliant articles, only found the web site a couple of weeks ago & have read all the Alternate Anglers. (working nights has its advantages) I,ve just returned to fishing after a 35 year break - bringing up kids, kids getting married & divorced etc. At last I have some time to myself now & trying to get a few decent bits of tackle together, everytime I go into a tackle shop I feel like a kid in a sweet shop. I must admit that the dealers near where I live have been very helpful & not conned me into buying c**p. I think that FM is a great alternative to the weekly mags (IYFC is ok)
Looking forward to reading more of your writings in the future.

K

Kevin Perkins

Jim

If you have read all the AA articles you are in an exclusive club of 2 - you and me! I have to read them because I write them, you must just be slightly masochistic!

Regards

Kevin

Jim Gibbinson

Reaction score
There IS a difference between a ?30 rod and one costing ?150, but whether the difference justifies the extra cost is for the angler to decide. It's worth bearing in mind that the cost of an expensive rod might incorporate the cost of advertising and, possibly, a consultancy fee to a celebrity angler.

ABU made beautiful multipliers (notwithstanding the fact that the original 7000 models used to rust). I owned several - then like a fool sold them when I gave up beach fishing. Now I'm a "born again" beach angler, I've bought a 6501. It looks and feels like the original, even though it's now made in the Far East, I believe, and not Sweden. Time will tell. I've also bought a Shakespeare 5000 "clone" (silly cheap on eBay). Again, it looks and feels good, but again only time will tell.

Fixed-spool reels of today are infinitely better than early Mitchells, ABUs etc., certainly in design terms, and in most cases in engineering terms, too. Look no further than Shimano, Kevin - a vast range of models, combined with excellent service back-up (should it ever been needed).

Most modern centrepins are an absolute rip-off. It's the most basic form of engineering there is, so why on earth do some of them cost upwards of ?200? I see no reason why any centrepin should cost over ?100 - still, all the time there are people willing to pay through the nose...

Jim Bowdrey

Reaction score
Kevin, nothing masochistic in enjoying good humour. I was brought up The Goons so perhaps my sense of humour may be a bit odd. I got hooked on reading AA as you mentioned that you used to fish the Grand Union Canal. I started my fishing on the GUC in Mill End near Rickmansworth about 50 yrs ago (god knows where the years have gone).It used to be quiet. Went back about a month ago & the places where I used to fish are chock-a-block with floating itinerants, tatty boats & the towpath cluttered with rubbish.I did have a bit of fun near Springwell Lock, loads of small roach & finished off with a 3/4lb perch so it wasnt a wasted day. I work on a Thames Water site & the River Colne runs thru, so I am trying to find out if I can fish it as I,ve seen several chub & barbel just waiting to be tempted.

stephen baines 2

Reaction score
Mitchell 306?, that never was a "light" spinning reel!, somewhat large for the job I feel. Yes, the ABU 55 was the dogs bollocks, but again a bit large for spinning. What about a ABU 54?

L

Laurie Harper

If you can find one, Stephen. 54s are getting sought after. I have a 55 and would love a 54. Great reels; will last for ever if treated properly.

K

Kevin Perkins

Jim G

Pearls of wisdom, as ever!

Jim B

Sorry, just being my normal self-deprecating self. If you enjoy the AA articles email me your address and I will send you over something you may like.

Didin't fish the canl at Rickmansworth, but did used to dangle a bait in the Colne and spent many a pleasant hour freezing my bits off fishing for the alledged 'monster' pike in the Aquadrome - happy days!

Tony Stevens

Reaction score
I like it!
The article says it all on the subject of fixed spool reels used for spinning. Spinning is a real test of quality. The first choice for down and out rugged performers has I am sorry to say go to American produced reels, Penn being possibly the top of the list. There is a range of sizes to cater for mini perch to mastodens. My oldest is 30 yrs old and still going strong. A mate who bought one last year and promptly took it to bits to see if it was any good took it king fishing and is well satisfied as 30lb kingies are the original Ibusta yerpole species.
If you can't stomach the price of a new job ebay is a good place to start to find an old ABU, Pfluger, Penn or Mitchell. All produced top of the line reels in the past.

K

Kevin Perkins

Tony

I think I will hold off buying a new reel until my next trip to New York and I will have a look at the Penn's while I am there. Will re-aquaint myself with those nice people at Capitol Tackle during my stay in order to sort out the possibility of shipping over some of the mouth-watering selection of spoons, spinners and plugs etc. that are available over there, and with current exchange rate (even including postage) will still be wallet pleasingly cheap!

Regards

Kevin