warrington waters

Dave Mccarthy

Reaction score
Does anyone know if any of the closed fisheries are open yet?
It was in the news letter last week that they may be opening this week or next.
Itching to get on a couple again as I only started fishing them just before the closure.

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
There will be news one way or the other this comeing Tuesday after a meeting. I'll post it or somebody else will on this forum.

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
The biggest worry for many clubs now is, will it kick off again next spring when the temperatures start to rise? Let's hope not.

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Sorry.
ie, are the carp that have survived it this year, still carrying the virus or whatever it was, and are waiting for the right conditions to come along again?

Dave Mccarthy

Reaction score
Dont know much about about the virus.
Has it been identified yet or is it a unkown?
Have any other species been affected or is it exclusive to carp.
I very rarely fish for carp these days, but still wouldnt want anyone else's fishing/fish to suffer.
Lets hope all will be OK.

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
It has still not been identified Dave, and only affected the carp as far as we know, although there has been rumours (as allways) The finger pointed towards F1 hybrids being illegally stocked.

kev woolrich

Reaction score
the same f1 hybrids that there filling these holes in the ground with baz?

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Yes mate. And now there are F2's on the horizon.
There was never a section 30 order issued for stocking them in the Weaver or T&M but lots of dead ones were found in there.

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
The Bridgewater links up to it, and that is how we got it in our waters.

Dave Mccarthy

Reaction score
How can the spread of these viruses be stopped by banning fishing?
Surley birds will be the major factor in carrying them from water to water.
I dont disagree with a ban, but would net dips and such not be effective if everyone adhered to the rules?

Ian Whittaker

Reaction score
Is it certain that it is a virus? I got the impression that the EA didn't know what it was but this doesn't make it a virus , does it?

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Net dips don't really work, so we are told.
It is safer to thoroughly dry your net after each session.

Banning fishing won't stop it from spreading, but it goes a small way in helping.

The boats that go through the canal systems will pull the diseased fish through and spread it that way.

Yes, you are right, fish eating birds will spread it about.

Illegal movement of fish will spread it.

All anybody can do is try to minimise the risk.

Let's say Warrington didn't close any of their waters, and these waters got contaminated. Would you have taken that risk Dave? I'm not haveing a go mate, but this is the position that some of the clubs were in. They were buggered if they did, and buggered if they didn't.
Generally speaking most people accepted the situation, but there were the odd few who thought there was no danger.

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I already said at the start of the thread Ian mate, that they don't know what it was for certain.

Dave Mccarthy

Reaction score
I have no objection to clubs closing waters in such situations, I think it was a wise move.
All too often fisheries find therself in this position, and when the worst happens they can look back in hindsight and see what they should have done.
My last post was more of a question as of how to stop these things happening.
Better safe than sorry.

kev woolrich

Reaction score
i agree baz if your a lover or hater of carp the value of specimen sized fish is great and not easily replaced. theres a large number of blinkered anglers out there who are thinking "well its only carp who cares" i don't target carp personally but to me there a fish and every fish is welcome!

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Nobody can stop these things from happening Dave. Did you know that even if a fish is given the all clear by the tests that have been done on them, there is still no garauntee that they are 100% clear of any virus etc?
I didn't relise it until I read the Defra letter (find it in the archives)

That's right Kev, it's bad news for any species.