Centre Pin

benny

Reaction score
If I want to use one of these, fellows a few things I need to know.
How do you load line ?
Can I use mono line, or braid?
Do you come off the top or bottom?
Casting I have only seen them used as fly fishing?
Playing fish ,do you backwind ,cos I see a tangle thing going on there?
Clear these points first guys ,when I try the advice out no doubt something else will rear its head.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
"How do you load line?"
Having connected the line to the spool you simly wind in a clockwise direction taking care to first see which way the line is spooled to avoid twisting.
Modern hi-tec thinner lines can 'bed in' so be careful not to load too much line in the first place.
Typically, for trotting for small to medium sized fish I rarely load more than about 40/50 yards.

"Can I use mono line, or braid?"
You can use iether Benny, although this depends on what type of fishing you intend to do. Personally I rarely use braid on my 'pins.

"Do you come off the top or bottom?"
Typically the line comes off of the bottom of the spool. that said, if fishing in really windy conditions, then I often reverse the line (actually I use a spare spool) so that it comes off of the top thereby reducing the potential for tangles.

"Casting I have only seen them used as fly fishing?"
You can cast reasonable distances by gently stripping line off of the spool and using a simple underarm sideways cast.
Once reasonabnly proficient then take a look at the many good articles around on the Wallis Cast.

"Playing fish ,do you backwind ,cos I see a tangle thing going on there?"
I find that even with relatively big fish that you only need to apply friction to the spool with your thumb thereby avoiding tangles again.

I hope this helps.

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
Excellent advice from Peter above. A couple of points though.

The Walis cast is well worth learning but the line has to come of the bottom with no line gaurds.

"Casting I have only seen them used as fly fishing?
Make sure you have a true centre pin and not a fly reel as these do not work.

I picked up the Okuma pro this year nice little pin for the price. Love using it you get connection with everything thats happening.

Take the plunge Benny you will not regret it. If you live up near Lancashire get intouch with Alan Roe on the site. He is willing to give lessons on Wallis casting. If further afield there are others on here who would be able to help.