Line Clipping

benny

Reaction score
How do you do this?
I have never needed to do this as most of my fishing is close in but I have just tried a bigger water where I would like to hit the same spot each time .whats Involved?

I

Ian Cloke

The most common way is to use the clip on the side of you reel spool. All you do is cast out, to your desired area, then put the line under the clip. This ensures that you cast the same distance each time.

However, if you are after large fish it may be best to do the following method. Put an elastic band onto your spool, at the base and quite tight. Then cast out, put approx 2" of line (from the spool, do not break the line.) under the band, and mark the line with a permanent marker pen. Then each time you cast you'll get the same distance. The difference being that when you hit into a big fish the line can pull free from the band. When the line has pulled free, all you do the next time you cast out is watch for the mark on your line, and then put the marked line back under the band. You will then be casting the same distance again.

It is easy to do Benny, it's just awkward for me to try to explain by writing it

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Benny,
Clipping as described above will ensure that your casts are going the same distance. All you need to do now is to make sure that you are casting along the same line. this is easily achieved by picking a 'target' on the far bank, like a taller tree, a pylon or even a roof top, and cast to this target each time.

The key to accurate casting is simple - line and distance.

Hope this helps.

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
Also if fishing through the night pick a target that you will be able to see. The number of times i have picked a light coloured bush in daylight then as darkness falls where as my mark gone..

Beecy

Reaction score
Another way of clipping up (similar to Ian's) is to cast to the required distance, then, rather than putting your line in the clip, tie a short length of power gum or strong pole elastic to the main line and put this under the clip ( you also need a knot in the end so it does not pull through the clip and leave an inch or so tag end to get hold of to un-clip). Then when you have to give line you release the gum/elastic from the clip and still have your reference marker.

This method has two advantages: you do not have the risk of damaging your line in the clip and it is far easier to release with a running fish on.

Disadvantages are that your mainline can slip through the knot a little and thus reduce accuracy, and if your rods rings are too small/knot is too big it can get stuck.

This works ok for me anyway, having said that, I had not thought of ian's way before and may try it next time out, my only worry is - will i be able to spot the marker pen on a dark line like maxima?

Beecy

Reaction score
Also benny, if your geting lots of bites or fishing in a style that requires lots of casting you find that after an hour or so you get a "feel" for the distance and the power of cast required to achieve it, then you can dispence with the clip altogether.

Bill Marden

Reaction score
try this aftercasting to your spot fold apiece of insulatintape over line then carefuly trim with scissors . i find that using the line clip on the reel weakens the line.

Bill Marden

Reaction score
beecy .no you dont need to as when you next cast out wind back utill you see the tape and distance will be spot on .sorry i did not make it clear in the first place.

matt

Reaction score
No good if your using a feeder Bill your bait maybe spread all over your swim.
Defeating the object of clipping up in the first place.

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
Best way with the tape is after your first cast attach tape. Before winding in clip up at tape. Bait up and cast out to clip. Unclip while fishing. When ready to rebait clip up again. If you get a bite just cast out to one side of the swim past the tape wind back to tape then clip up again.

Bill Marden

Reaction score
bryon . the whole point of not clipping up is so that when you cast out ,the line dose not snatch on the clip and spray your ground bait all over the lake . so when you cast out listen for the tape going through the rings then feather the line down with your finger. hope this helps bill

Beecy

Reaction score
Everyone has their own preffered way of clipping up, but I think the clip has to be a back up only. What I meen is, ok, set your clip or marker, but don't rely on it. Try to hit the exact spot anyway, use more power than is required for the distance and feather the line so you only just reach your clip/marker without any sudden stop.

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
Bill i am assuming that beccy can cast to the area and not rely on the clip to stop it mid air. If you have cast right then the only force is on the clip while the line is sinking. I have used the clip with feeders and leads upto 8oz

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Bryan your way is best, although Matt B showed me how to do it with pole elastic rather than tape.

Just remember to re-clip before retrieving, as I found out....!
Numerous times.....!

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
With pole elastic you can use a light one which you can leave clipped up. Easy to removeif a fish is running to hard.