one for the amateur photographers

M

matt thomas

i have a list of needs(don't we all!)
must be under ?500ish and have a remote function (for lone fishing trips)
i currently use a sony cybershot p5 that cost a lot about 3 years ago and still takes good pics but my mate has a pentax optio with a remote that is superb,i was going to get one of these but then thought that it will only do what the sony does apart from the remote option
so do i go the whole hog and get an slr digi?
will it blind me with science so i go back to using a point and shoot?
i want something with a bloody good zoom to photo some wildlife and such on trips
can you buy a kit for a decent slr with lens and flash?
its a technical subject and the possibilities are endless but seeing as some fishermen tend to get into amatuer photography i hope some of you can help
the pentax ist looks a good un but only because it has the remote option
but then again what do i know!!
thanks in anticipation
matt

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

Look no further than the Canon G6.

This is a compact with remote control and 4 times optical and 16 times digital zoom.

With 7 million pixels even shots at the top end of the digital zoom are of very high quality.

M

matt thomas

just had a look around the web about it,it also has the other feature that i forgot to mention i needed -a flip round screen
well done Ron for that info ,it looks as though thats on my shopping list and at 360 quid looks a good price too

what is the zoom like for say a kingfisher on the other side of the trent?woulod you be able to pick out a good shot of it ?

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

Yes but you need a tripod for the top end of the digi zoom.

M

matt thomas

no worries there ,i have a tripod and a bankstick adapter
thats good to know

Matt Brown

Reaction score
Matt, the G6 is perfect for fishing.

I know when it came out it was definately the camera to buy, but I believe there is more competition for it now.

Still, I'd have the G6 myself.

Colin Brett

Reaction score
Regarding the Kingfisher, it all depends on how wide the river is!
Small river possibly OK wide river forget it! It'll just be a speck.
Colin [been there tried that face]

M

matt thomas

Off to jessops tomorrow as i am on a weeks hol so i'm going to have a play with a few cameras.

G

Ged

Matt.
Try UK digital they have a web site and are about the cheapest.
Try the camera for spec at Jesops but if you can, order from UK. They have a shop in Chlithero Lancs, too far for you to travel though.

M

matt thomas

yes i wasn't going to buy from jessops ,just try them out then find cheapest trusted site on the net
thanks ged

Matt Brown

Reaction score
Jessops used to do price matching but I think they've packed that in now.

M

matt thomas

they will do it Matt but only if its from a uk source as they can't compete with pixmania etc
it will be a question i will ask though as being a retailer i would rather keep the money local for local job security