idiots, not anglers!

kev woolrich

Reaction score
I decided to have a break from the norm this weekend and fish a local day ticket water with a couple of old mates. we arrived at the lakes just after first light and set off to find an area that would accomadate the three of us. while walking along the bank of the first lake we passed the odd bivvy and all was well, then as we neared the bottom end of the lake i could'nt believe my eyes! pitched closely together was a couple of brightly coloured tents and a bivvy, all was quiet and i could see why? littered all over the bank there must have been 30 to 40 empty beer cans, 3 empty vodka bottles, throw away bbq trays and empty food cartons, what a disgrace, and total lack of respect i thought, this surely should'nt be aloud. theres not a place for this in angling in my eyes!! has anybody else ever seen or come across anything like this? i dare say during the night this mob could have been quite intimidating!

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
On one of our local club waters that sells day tickets also. Members have told me tha they have had to walk the to the opposite side of the lake to land fish as the so called anglers there were to pissed to get out of there bivvies.

I hope these pratts did not have there rods out.

I see nothing wrong in haveing a odd can and social with your mates while fishing. 30 to 40 empty beer cans, 3 empty vodka bottles does not equate to a social session but a piss up at best there could only have been 6 pratts in the bivvies thats 5 cans and half a bottle of vodka each.

I hoope you reported them to the owners. Theses are the type of angler that will be our down fall.

Garry

Reaction score
Agree with Bryan.

I see no problem with socials, yes, have a few beers and a laugh, enjoying yourself is a big part of fishing with mates.

You also have to put some things into perspective.
Using an overnight session as an excuse to get totally $hitfaced is a no no!

Consider the safety issues, pi$$ed up anglers staggering about on the bank in the dark......spaloosh.....one drowned angler.

Also consider the environmental issues....loads of crap left on the bank, even overnight can have a devastating effect on the local wildlife.
Remember, we are a guest in their surroundings.

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
Agree Gary. I had a few nights back in August. I shared my bivvy with a mouse. When i told people back home most were disgusted. i informed them that i was a guest in there home. Treat it as if you were stopping at a freinds.

kev woolrich

Reaction score
i could'nt agree more, a social tipple fair enough, you've only got to look at chris yates and bob james who often shared a bottle of grape juice while on the rod! going back to the subject of the post though, in these cases even if you do report these people, i don't think there would be to many people who would dare tackle these tanked up boneheads! its a bit of a grey area really would'nt you say?

N

NottmDon

Happens a lot on the Trent unfortunately, guys in their 20s and above p---ed as parrots, ghetto blasters going on for hours and the swims afterwards are a sh1theap. Got so bad I wrote to the EA saying they ought to do a license check as dead eels were strung up by nylon on the river bank. Still waiting for a reply!

M

matt thomas

yeh agree with you Don,happens a lot on the trent,opening day on the trent i nightfished and there was a guy next to us who had been on the cans and he had about 7 barbel all night and me and my mate landed about 5 of them because we couldnt wake him up
fished clifton grove and came across a scene just like kev described with crap everywhere and ten quid tents lined up-amazingly it was an adult with some teenagers so you know whats going to happen when they fish on their own
total disrespect for the fish and environment.
fortunately it seems to taper off come september as it gets colder.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

And people wonder why large stretches of the Trent and other rivers are now rented out to private syndicates.

Blunderer

Reaction score
I think we have all witnessed scenes like these. I reported an angler on the Severn once who was, again, in a big blue Asda tent. Sh1t paper all over, litter and two rods left out while he went to the pub!
I confronted him when he returned and he said "it doesn't matter. If you hook a barbel it just goes back to its hole"!
He was a right scally.

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
Blunderer. You should have wound his rods in and hid them. When he came back no doubt pissed he would have been unable to fish. Donate the rods to some juniors club and people who go fishing for the fishing.

B

Bully

Kev - it wasn't in France was it?? Sounds like our lake in France (Stu D, Rik, WoL) !!

However, we did clean up thoroughly.....

You'll see some pici's soon.

Bob Roberts

Reaction score
Ron,

Syndicates cure nothing. It doesn't treat the problem. Doesn't make anything better at all.

It simply pushes the morons onto the waters where those who are not in the elite gangs have to fish.

Don't get me going about syndicates again, I'm trying to wind down for a trek in the Himalayas!!!

'Kin parasites...

T

Tony Rocca

Dont you go and get your self lost out there Bob.
How would the angling world survive without old Bobby2bobs.

Syndicates may not cure the problem, but they do provide a sanctuary from such idiots. Fools like this are all too common these days, I for one would rather not fish than have to share the bank with their like.

Private fishing has been around for as long as fishing has, sometimes folks just moan because they want summut they cant have.

L

Laurie Harper

A bit of a dilemna, there, Bob. Tony has a good point. I agree with the principal that good fishing should not be limited to the privileged few. On the oterh (or even other...) hand, it's understandable that many, me included, wish to fish well away from litter and the kind of person described in the opening posts. To be fair to syndicates, not all are elite gangs and not all are staggeringly expensive to join (I'm not a member of any myself, incidentally). It's sad but true that, if you see the type of behaviour Kev writes about, you feel honour-bound to challenge the people responsible. However, you also know there's a good chance you'll get a mouthful of abuse, or much worse, for your pains. So what do you do? It's no surprise that many decide to join an "elite gang" just to get away from the problem, is it?

Have a good trip to the Himalayas and try not to come back with any mystery ailments!

N

NottmDon

Nice to see your up to a trip Bob. Funnily enough I was reading an article a week or two ago bemoaning the fact that all these mountain climbers leave all their crap at various basecamps when they climb Everest and the like.In all fairness I suppose its difficult to take it back with them? So take a couple of large refuse sacks with you and beware of the yeti lmao! Enjoy yourself Bob.

Litter louts are just endemic of our throwaway society and yob culture I dont have an answer to it myself,I just find it bloody annoying having to clean some lazy gits crap(and I mean real crap) out of the peg I want to fish.

M

matt thomas

tin hat on,

I myself would pay upto 300 quid per year for a good water that is cared for,as long as rules were adhered to by everyone and people were expelled if they did'nt.
No bullshit and no wink wink you can come in our syndiate just hard earned cash ,i don't want it stocking and i don't want pre cut pegs and no! keep the fallen trees in the water as well just a good natural water that is untouched by man and a membership that is vetted.
I Don't want the bullshit around tackle and tactics and the look down your nose because you haven't got the latest Rod or Reel or Bivvy
Hang on we don't have to go that far,why don't clubs put up the membership by 15% and give it free to pensioners and the Disabled if they have been a member for a while,as long as EVERYONE is vetted by having a day out with a club moderater or at least checked while fishing,adequate line/unhooking mat etc

that would sort the wheat from the chaff

or that you have to do three evenings a year in two's on all waters and submit your findings and check peoples membership note down their number and if there is crap around discreetly photo it and then let the comittee expel by letter -no confrontation,not too much to ask is it?

M

matt thomas

Ive got it
two 600 am checks per year and two 8pm checks per year per member
May June July August and September are the months with the problems and yes May on the Rivers as well
wouldn't take a rocket scientist to organise either just a year wall planner with names in boxes
so what if it Doesn't cover all days 50 %of days covered would soon have people thinking twice.
C'mon shoot me down in flames!!

M

matt thomas

if it was day ticket as well the revenue would go up because you can collect the money as well,
they get there for 8pm and pack up at 7am because they will miss the baliff-sound familiar?