BIG EELS

J

John McLaren

Andy, a very interesting article. Are bigger eels easier to manage on the bank than the smaller ones? I have visions of being covered in slime from head to foot and having great difficulty getting my hook out with 4 or 5 lb of eel wrapped around my arm!!

S

stephen cotton

Hi John,

The bigger they are the easier they are to unhook generally. Just take your time and if you can't see the hook don't go pokeing around as you will end up killing the eel. What I usually do is take the eel away from the water in the landing net and wait for it to calm down. Then if you gently stroke the eel from head to tail they fully relax. You then have short time window to get the hook out before they get angrey and you have to go thru the process again...

Best of luck with your eel hunt.

P

paul williams 2

John,

As Stephen says the bigger ones are not prone to wrap themselves into a mess of slime n line like the bootlaces do.

My own advice is to cut the hooklink if the hook isn't visible and let the eel shed it themselves....it's chances of survival are in my opinion better that way.

Can't say you won't get covered in slime or that a big eel won't wrap itself around your arm...but hey, thats part and parcel of eel fishing! :)

Enjoyed the article Andy.......looking forward to the Tits two pennorth ;)

N

NottmDon

Only ever caught small eels and never in my life had such slippery customers. I've read all the stuff (myth,folklore and cobblers) about making the sign of the cross in the sand (what sand its the Trent I fish lol).Laying them on their back (the eels havent read this one) and the cobblers part as I recall was laying them on newspaper,I rarely take a newspaper fishing with me and it might be suitable for wrapping fish and chips in but not very good for an eel I am sure. All these measures make the eel go limp and allow you to take pictures and everything else (again the eels never read the angling books I have lol). I have to give my utmost admiration to guys who can catch and photograph such fine specimens,even though I do not target eels (not had the time) I think they are a magical looking species particularly when one considers how far they migrate to get to the Trent in Nottingham and other places further inland! Glad about the hook advice as thats what we were told when match fishing,better to cut the line and leave the eels digestive juices to work on the hook, always felt a bit iffy about that but didnt think poking around would have done the eel any favours. Is the gastric juices thing correct then or is that another myth? Funnily enough I was reading an old eel fishing book by the late John Sidley the other night cracking read too.

P

paul williams 2

Don.....the cross bit is a load of rubbish, but old John Sidley used to gouge out a channel to lie his eel upside down in.....it works!, at least most of the time,but i'm sure i read somewhere it doesn't do them any good and to keep the time they are upside down to a minimum.

J

John McLaren

Thanks Lads, I don't think I'll be targetting big eels but I won't be so worried if I hook one.

Jamie Lee 2

Reaction score
I am intrigued at the instinct side to this story. Can you give any logical reasoning why you thought big eels would be caught? Was it conditions? features? Moon cycle? Us lesser anglers would be pleased if you could impart with any information about what might be a good eel fishery. I've seen a few fish of three and four lb come out of a public water that is silty and gravel bottom and not much weed so is this something we should look out for?

Nice fish byt the way and referring to an earlier post it must have been a handful

E

Eeluslf Uslf

Thanks Andy for the well written article. Can`t wait for the 2nd part.

If anyone who is interested, I have details about joining the National Anguilla Club. The Membership Sec. is Mr J Jolley, 23 Abingdon Drive, Platt Bridge, Wigan Lancs. WN2 5JQ or just send a email to myself. I would be more than happy to help with this info.

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

I believe (years ago) certain well known eel anglers used to inject their eels with a sedative to keep them quiet while they photographed them (allegedly)

W

Warren 'Hatrick' (Wol) Gaunt

They didn't inject it Ed, i think it was dabbed on the mouth.

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

I know they used to use it though ...

P

paul williams 2

It was put into large buckets and diluted with water, the eels were then put into this, never tried it myself.......i always took 100's of pics and hoped one came out with me appearing to be in control and looking like a great white hunter........my choice of headwear usually spoilt it :)

W

gimp suit didn't help either mate.....

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

I remeber speaking the a guy in Bob Frosts shop in Leamington who used the know John Sidley.

Apparently John used to cover the eels eyes and lay it on its back.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

Mind you John was a Brummie so he used to make the sign of the Brum before handling them. He also may have made the sign of the Scouse.

I often used to fish deliberately for eels in the 50 and 60s. I those days we didn't worry about unhooking them cleanly as every eel we caught went into the pot. But this was the way then.

My friend John used to carry a heavy "Paddaslagter" (Frog Killer) knife with which he used to deal with eels. He used to take off their heads with one stroke and they didn't move again.

W

"He used to take off their heads with one stroke and they didn't move again"

They normally do for quite sometime after actually!

P

paul williams 2

Yes he did Ron.....John was a doer, sometimes like all "doers" he got it wrong and got a slating!

It was a chat with John, years ago that i learnt that doing what you say usually calmed them down, there was always one that never conformed though!

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

What John also did I'll not mention here. But when he dealt with an eel it never did seem to move again.

By the way I am not talking about John Sidley.