Is there any form of angling

• Thread starter Ron 'The Hat' Clay
  • Start date
R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

In my life I've done most types types and styles of angling.

Some time ago I was asked in a tackle shop if there was any type of angling that I didn't like.

It didn't take me long to list these.

1st Shark Fishing.

I truly cannot understand why anyone would ever want to catch one of these awful brutes. I've had a few in my life, that goodness only small ones, but I once hooked a white shark off the Natal coast. I cut the trace. I certainly wasn't going to try and handle that snaggled toothed monster.

2: Big Game Fishing. Only ever tried it once and the fish I hooked - A marlin, got eaten by a bloody shark.

It's a form of angling that takes the least skill of all. The real know-how is with the boatman. Even if I was a millionaire I would not bother with it.

3: Match Fishing: I've done a little bit in my life, mainly club matches where is was the thing to do.

I enjoyed the social side very much. Less so the fishing. I don't like being told where I must fish, when I must start fishing, and worst of all when I must stop.

But I have nothing against match anglers or match fishing.

What forms of angling do you hate.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
I don't really hate any angling but I have never been keen on sea fishing, not for any particular reason other than it doesn't interest me, I'm not a great fan of trout fishing either but I am trying to get to grips with the art of fly fishing.

W

Wolfman Woody

Fluff flinging.

Oh I have the gear, not the best perhaps, but good enough. It's just that I can't get the enthusiasm going to flick out bit of fur and feather for a fish I might have to kill and can't stand the taste of them.

Sooner have a mackerel any day.

I do spin for them during the close season, but usually end up catching a few out-of-season perch, unintentionally you understand. ;o)

davestocker

Reaction score
I hate any kind of fishing that involves just sitting there! I'd call myself an 'active angler', who enjoys lure fishing and fly fishing, indeed any kind of fishing that involves me constantly doing something. Freelining, rolling a leger and trotting are also acceptable, but the thought of hours in a bivvi just does my head in. That said, when I'm old and grey I might just learn to enjoy it............

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

Oh I don't know Dave. The Monk will doubtless disagree with you.

Get a couple of ruffe slappers in your bivvy together with a few dozen Special Brews and a few bottles of vodka.

Then you will enjoy it!!

S

sash

Just because you use a bivvy doesn't mean the fishing has to be inactive Dave......

With you on the big game stuff Ron, can't stand it myself. The tackle's always overly powerful too. As for everything else, I've probably tried most including match fishing and fluff flinging and they all have certain elements that appeal to me.

L

Laurie Harper

Not keen on commercials. Before anyone gets upset, I know it's a free country and I'm not making any judgements here. Agree about big game fishing, but am a late convert to match fishing - on traditional (dare I say "proper"...) fisheries. It is indisputable that the good match anglers - I'm not referring to one method/venue "experts" here - are some of the most skilled I've ever encountered. They have to be. They usually fish at the worst time of day, their time is limited and often so is the amount of bait they can use. The fact that they catch fish in such unfavourable conditions is a testament to their ability. The social aspect is great, too.

T

Tony Rocca

I have great deal of respect for the skilled match angler but its never appealled to me and I have never fished a match, cant see me starting now.

Over stocked commercials are a waste of time in my book and are responsible for many of the next generation lacking the skills of yesteryears angler, still I suppose they must enjoy it.

Have done the sea fishing thing, hated it due to being as sick as a dog for 6 hours, never again.

Fluff chucking is ok now and again for a change, those trout can pull a bit and are not easy to an unskilled wafter like me.

What do I dislike most?........bloody poles, whats that all about? I just dont get it, damn great heavy things as long as a long thing, shuffle, shuffle, shuffle back in, shuffle, shuffle, shuffle back out. Looks like bloody hard work to me and all in the name of presentation.
Id rather not catch owt.

Beecy

Reaction score
I would never intentionaly fish for eels big or small, not that theres anything wrong with it, I'm just a big girls blouse and have a phobia of them!

Neneman Nick

Reaction score
not too keen on boat fishing at sea and i have had a go at fly fishing from a boat as well....wasnt too keen on that either !!!
me thinks its because i`m a very poor swimmer and i worry about capsizing and falling in and drowning.
perhaps i`ve got a phobia????

colsmiff

Reaction score
I'm with you on that one Beecy!
Tony, poles have their place, certainly for the crucians on my clubs waters, but I agree about poles on commercials- I can't see the point.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

Just get yourself a decent life jacket Nick.

I love boat fishing, especially with a fly rod.

T

Tony Rocca

Colsmiff,
Dont get me wrong I know they work a treat, just not my cup of tea at all.

There again, I suppose that most would hate fishing with my rods.

J

John McLaren

I'm with Ron the the shark and big-game fishing but I'm also not very keen on beachcasting - in many cases the lead outweighs the fish you catch!

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

That may be the case in the UK John.

When I last went beach casting we were looking at fish that averaged 20 lbs.

That was in Southern Namibia.

The biggest fish I ever caught from the shore was a 80lb sand shark. These fish are marvellous eating, the flesh is like sole.

J

jon helyer

Can't understand Match fishing at all, like you Ron I don't like being told when to start, stop and where to go in the first place. Worse still, most matchmen seem to treat 'pleasure' sessions as if they are fishing a match! Most (but not all!) the matchmen I have met are a selfish bunch who only care about their own interests and not the bigger picture, but then I'm a piker and matchmen and pikers don't really get on, at least not in my neck of the woods......

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

By the way the most horrid fish I ever caught beach casting was a bloody great electric ray. I had forgotten my gaff and tried to bring it up the beach by grabbing the wire trace.

I got the shock of my life - literally!

M

madpiker

over stocked commercial "pasty fishing" and so called "light line" fishing where the angler has to play the fish to the point of death just for the dubious reputation of having the skill to land big fish on light gear are my pet hates,i can`t really see the point of "bagging" matches either.

W

Wolfman Woody

We used to have a guy fish matches with our works team and were planning a practice session one evening after work. He refused to come as it would be pleasure fishing and we weren't having any pools or weigh in.

He said to me "Matches are all that count. No-one remembers who came second, winning them is what matters and you can't win whilst pleasure fishing."

I tell you, his name was John Wilson. NOT THE John Wilson, thankfully, you see on TV.

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
I agree totally with Tony about commercials, you can't fail to catch and skills are lost or never found, whilst fishing them.

I hate with a passion, pole angling up in the water with pellets for carp!
No skill is required at all! Apart from changing the depth to find the fish, the pole is put in the rest and pellets are constantly fed around the float.
The fish hook themselves, so no strike is involved, it's pants!
But then again, I am talking about match fishing on commercials.

I do love pole fishing, on my local river!
So I have nothing against pole fishing. On a river you need skill, as the fish are wild and probably have never felt a hook before!

End of Rant.