Help!

James Hutton

Reaction score
Been pleasure fishing for small stuff for a while and want to get in to carp fishing. I have just been out and purchashed everything i need for carp fishing and then realised i dont know how to carp fish. Can any one please give any tips as im on my first carp outing this week end. thanks

Foxy

Reaction score
Being deliberatly objective, how do you know you have everything you need if you dont know how to fish it?? :0

To start carp fishing, you dont need ?200 reels, rods, alarms etc etc. i know a lot of people who go and splash out on all the gear and within a month they have had enough and their gear either ends up in the paper, e-bay or more likely the back of the garage!!!

i would imagine you have the following......

2 rods
2 reels
1 rod pod / two alarms?
line and terminal tackle, leads hooks etc
bait (bolies / whatever)

The easiest way to start is to use running rigs. If you dont know what these are, there are loads of sites on the web which show you (pictorally) how to tie the rigs, and how to attach your leads etc. its very, very simple. or, you could go out and buy yourself a couple of ready tied rigs to use, and a couple of leads.

pull the mainline through the swivel on top of the lead. Thread on a rubber or buffer bead (to protect the knot on the swivel) tie your mainline to the swivel at the end of your hook length. Thread your boilie / bait onto the hair with a baiting needle, and effectively your ready to go!! Cast your rods out, place in the rod pod, tighten the line, attach the bobbin (if you have any) turn your alarm on, flick the bait runner on 9or open the bail arm) sling a few free bits of bait around your hookbait, and bobs your uncle!!

i could go on and on about techniques, water craft, time of the year, location et all but this is all part of learning to fish. Dont be afraid to ask for help on the bank, most of the lads will be only to pleased to help you. Biggest tip i can give you is location, location ,location!! find the fish first before you set up. you cant catch what isnt there in the first place

Good luck,

Foxy

Beecy

Reaction score
James, I too have only just started to target the odd carp. I decided that the best way for me would be to gradually "feel" my way into it rather than going "all out" with all the gear like alarms, bolt rigs, boilies etc. and not having a clue how to use them!

I have had the odd day just simply float legering in the edge with meat and have enjoyed it. The first lesson I have learnt, and maybe the most important, is how powerful these fish are and how any weakness in your gear or your playing technique will be soon found out.

Lots of people on this site have given me lots of good advise, so keep asking them and good luck.

Paul B

Reaction score
Get yourself "the fox guide to carp rigs", a fiver well spent and full of useful info(and plugs for fox gear as you'd expect)including, most importantly, carp care.

Go to the fishingmagic techniques section and check thru the articles ; some excellent advice in there.

N

NottmDon

Cant blame you for your sudden burst of enthusiasm James. Fishing for carp is a great way to spend your free time. My advice would be to make sure youve got the essentials that some new carpers forget about such as an unhooking matt,forceps,weighsling and a suitable landing net. Use these forums,read as many carping publications as you can get your hands on and if at all possible go with someone who is not new to carping rather than go on your own. I'd say dont try to run before you can walk but that'd be against human nature lol. Good luck in your fishing. Number one rule; the fishes health and safety must always come first,they may look big chunky fish but they are susceptable to damage if handled in an unproper manner. Enjoy!