Pike mouths

benny

Reaction score
Any good ideas for removing hooks etc.

I've heard not to use gags .

Also there is I believe a technique that stops old mister pikey removing your fingers Any good webites etc.

Paul H

Reaction score
Derbyshire: best beer, best cheese, best puddings.
It's called 'chinning' them however I would recomend getting someone experienced to show you how to do it rather than trying on your own. For yours and the pikes sake. Their teeth are bl@@dy sharp.

When done correctly the pikes mouth will open and give you room to reach the hooks with long forceps. A good set of wire snips is also essential in case you need to cut the trace for easier removal.

Reaction score
Benny,

As Paul says it is important to have someone experienced in predator fishing with you for your first couple of trips.

Pike may look like hard as nails but they are one of the most delicate fish and incorrect handling will almost certainly result in injury or death for the pike.

Gags are totally un-necessary.
For a general guide to handling look here

http://www.pacgb.co.uk/tips/unhooking.html

Hope that helps.

Might be worth saying hello to the guys on the predator forum, someone local to you may help you out.

L

Les Clark

Benny , have you been on the predator forum early this year ?
The best advice that I can give ,being that you are new to pike fishing is join the local P.A.C. ,.they won`t bite and they will give you all the help that you need and you will make a lot of mate`s and fishing buddies and as ****y has already said ,pike are very delicate despite their "hardman " look .

F

Fred Bonney

Benny,from a non pike fisher,there a was, what looked like a good piece, in todays Anglers Mail that's worth a look

C

Chris Bishop

Have the right tools to hand. Pliers/trace blades in our pocket or dealing with lightly-hooked small fish, or cutting the trace if you get a flying hook caught in the net.

Long forceps for most in the mouth unhooking and a pair of mini boltcroppers for emergencies - stapled gob, hook snagged in gill rakes etc.

Best advice of all is go with someone who knows what they're doing. You'll find basically the same advice everywhere - roll them over, kneel astride it, left hand down side of gill plate, lift it up and it opens its mouth.

Then you can go in and turn the hooks out, usually top hook first, bottom second.

Once you get the hand of it, it's usually a fairly quick and painless procedure for both you and the fish.

But you will get cut hands from time to time from the serrations on the back of their gill rakers.

Good advice is take at very least waterproof plasters, a bottle of TCP and some clean tissues with you in a little lunchbox, so you can quickly clean any cuts up, get them covered and carry on fishing. I also carry one of those alcohol hand cleaning gels.

Staggers me how many people don't carry this sort of thing and the number of times I end up giving other anglers antiseptic, plasters etc.

With the risk of Weil's disease on some waters it's worth taking care of yourself.

Paul H

Reaction score
Lots of sound advice there.

Just thought I'd add;

Dont succumb to nerves. You've landed a Pike so you've got, that's GOT, to unhook it. It can be nerve wracking procedure putting your fingers effectivly inside its mouth but it is the safest method for you and the fish, after a few goes it's second nature. If you panic then all hell could break loose and you may end up with lacerated fingers and a dead fish.

First one I unhooked on a solo jaunt turned out to be the biggest pike I'd ever caught, 12lb, not massive but big enough. I was nervous to say the least but I knew I had to do it quickly and efficiently in order to return her safely. As I said, keep your cool and it'll be A-ok.

Paul H

Reaction score
Just read that back and I don't mean to sound alarmist or patronising it's just that ****y and I have both caught Pike where someone has cut the trace off and left the fish with it.

We assumed inexperience and fear made the guilty anglers go for the easy option because in both cases we could easily remove the trace and trebles ourselves.

Paul H

Reaction score
Some hilarious oaf, and I know who, has changed my details.

I am going to sabotage his moped at the next oppotunity.

I apologise for the 'hilarious' name above.

Please feel free to delete or change the name on the above posts.

Paul.

N

NottmDon

lmao Paul, Id hide your email mate in case you get any new fishing buddies who have sudenly taken a shine to you!

Still awaiting my first pike session but it as to be when my lad gets some time off as he's fished for them before. I think its a question of confidence and making sure the pike is none the worse for being caught.No way on earth would I fish for pike without someone experienced with me, way too risky for a novice.

Paul H

Reaction score
My password has been strategically changed.

I left my FM cookie on my old computer at work, oops.

Having someone with you is the best and safest course of action for sure.

The thing about fishing is there's always something new to learn or try and some people would not be humble enough to concede they don't know how to do a particular technique. Luckily I think these persons are few and far between. We all had to do everything we know for the first time once and there's still a hell of a lot I need help with that's for sure!

N

NottmDon

Hell Pikey I'm learning all the time,when I stop learning I may as well pack it in. I'm the first to admit that fish with teeth scare the wotsit out of me,but I won a spinning rod in a comp and thought its about time I added another string to my bow.My lads been the pike fisherman for years and it looks like its time to break my phobia on this one. I did catch a Jack once on Archie Braddocks dead flavoured maggots, beautiful fish,just like a daddy pike only with much smaller teeth lol. Although I'm informed its the female of the species that put on the most weight. Reading up on the subject and enjoying it,also gleaned a lot of info from those in the know.
If I hook anything half decent I will need a change of underwear but with someone close by who knows what their doing any pike I cross swords with is going back a little less shook up then I will be.If I dont hook squat (more than likely) it will still be a new experience and of course a few hours on the river bank in good company.