Vintage Tackle

Reaction score
I've recently picked up some vintage tackle from my local charity shop. Can anyone tell me anything about their history and in the case of the rod its primary purpose?

First off...a split cane(i think) rod approx 9ft made by Alcocks and called the Popular. It has a mount for a centrepin so i'm guessing its a float rod?

Secondly a fixed spool reel made by J.W. Young of Redditch called the Delmatic Mark 2. Judging by the finish (eg paint job)it appears to be a genuine left handed reel rather than one that been converted.

Any info/ anecdotes much appreciated

Reaction score
Mmm...not many stirred memories

Go on break out the Horlicks Special Single Malt, warm ya knees under a tartan blanket etc and spin us a yarn!;-)

Did J.W Young and sons eventually become Leeda? Aren't they based in Redditch?

Was the Alcock's 'Popular' actually popular? I've never seen a rod like this before except in Bernard Venables cartoons and would really appreciate advice on how to tell if it is still in serviceable condition before use... Paulio/ Pikey Paul has just bought centrepin and it looked very smart in situe! I assume it's for roach fishing?

It is a 3 piece but the tip section is 6 inches shorter than the other bits. is that normal or has it been cut down?

Fancy a bit of fishing Chris Yates stylee!

G

Ged

Try a google search!
I have an Alcock centrepin style reel made of backerlite. not in top condition and not free running like a centrepin.
I have seem books out on antique fishing tackle but have nether read them.
I remember my brother some 30 years ago buying a splitcne combination rod, match, leger, spin and fly. Perhaps your split cane could be the leftover of such a rod!
I have a JW Young salmon fly reel, but it is not an antique.
Sorry I can't be more help.

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
I think it's a fly rod - what exactly do you mean by " a mount for a centre-pin"? If it's what I think, the reel fitting will be right at the end of a rather short (one handed) cork handle. Losing six inches off the tip won't have helped it much, I'm afraid; probably one for decorating a pub wall. Sorry.(Or converting into a Retro pike fly rod - you don't see many of those around!)
I've see n a Delmatic or two on ebay, but didn't take much notice, but it's worth the occaisional search.

Reaction score
Thanks guys

Alan the fitting is as you described for the centrepin. To be honest i'm a bit of a fishing magpie and thought the rod best suited as a backdrop for my collection of fishing books.

The reason I asked about the odd length and its use-ability is that i was reading Arthur Ransome's 'Rod & Line' last night and he was using an 8'6" rod for light trout/ roach fishing. I wondered if odd lengths/ sections was the norm for the time and was also rather caught in the moment as i've seen some lovely 1lb plus roach near me that probably haven't seen a fisherman for thirty years and might appreciate the nostalgic approach!

B

Bob Hornegold

If my memory serves me rightly, the Delmatic was the Black version of the Ambidex.

A mate of Mine had/has one instead of an ambidex, and still uses it on the Canal Midi, in the south of France.

In fact it is still attached to the JB WALKER Mk 1V Carp Rod he made in 1959.

Dont think they are worth a lot.

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
****y, see if you can get your hands on "At the Tail of the Weir" by Patrick Chalmers - it'll take you right back to early last century better than a time-machine. It was quite common then for a rod to have a shorter, spare top, so a float rod could be pressed into service as a leger rod, or a fly rod could be used for light spinning.
I had one of those jap combination rods; the fly rod option was quite good, but the spinning option wasn't. Now they're billed on ebay as " Vintage built-cane multi-purpose rod in custom wooden travel case" - which while all true, doesn't quite convey the true crapitude of the tinny ferrules and the five-foot spinner. And the box, made to hold the bits together in the shop, NOT to travel!

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
****y,

I saw an Alcocks Popular on an auction web site a while ago. If I remember correctly it was a 3 piece, 10'3"Sea Trout Rod.
I have looked through some of my old catalogues and this is all I could find for the 'Popular'by Alcocks.

Is the reel a sort of two tone grey and black? If so they seem to seel for between ?20-40.

Reaction score
Alan,
Thanks for the book tip I'll look out for Chalmers. In case its of use to you i've found http://www.anglebooks.com/ good for old fishy books.

Peter,
Could it have been 9'3", if all three sections were the same length that's what the rod would add up to...on closer examination the tip section is the only piece that doesn't have a brass insert (eg where sections join). Fairly convinced it is cut down now. No trotting for me ;-(

Peter and Bob,
The reel is two tone grey/ black but definitely made by Young & Sons. I have just found a site on the net that says that Alcock's made the Delmatic Mark 2 and Young's the Ambidex, so it appears that is what i have! Strange it has the Delmatic badge.

Thanks alot for your detective work

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
Thanks, ****y, I'll check them out.

You seem to have lost the male ferrule from the tip: try looking in the female ferrule of the middle section; if the glue failed, that's where it will have stuck.

Why no trotting? It may look a little odd, but you'll soon learn to control a 'pin with your little finger rather than your thumb, and fly rods are very forgiving to play fish on. If the butt is threaded to take a rubber button or spear, you could easily knock up an extension butt - like a "fighting butt" to help use it with a fxed spool. The only problem is likely to be picking up lots of line on the strike or when mending the line, but don't let that put you off trying if you can get fairly close to the fish.
(If in doubt, try it out on some smallish chub. They'll soon tell you if it works!)