river carping

Neneman Nick

Reaction score
i`d like to have a bash at river carping amongst other things this autumn and winter.iknow of day ticket stretches on the nene that hold carp and big ones too!!! that dont often see anglers for an age.
i`m presuming that river carp wont be as lethargic as stillwater carp and feed more in the colder months because of energy needed to swim in the river current etc...???
any help would be very much appreciated and i`ll keep you posted as to how well i do with some pics as well....fingers crossed.

Guy Baxendale 2

Reaction score
Nick,

River Carp (like all river fish) are much more likely to be feeding in any conditions as they are fighting the flow and hence are definitely a worthy quarry through the winter.
Location is the big question with river carping? Where are the carp as they can be very nomadic. Often times of increased flows can help with the location as the fish are often pushed into areas of less or no flows, if these areas have snags nearby then all the better. I have even found carp in tiny side streams off the Thames in times of flood so try and approach the river with an open mind as to where the fish might be??

Good Luck

Robbie H

Reaction score
I have been fishing for my local river carp all season. The best advice i can give is never ignore the inside bank. My fish have all been caught here. Also be prepared to move, as some carp are nomadic and others can be found in the same areas day to day. I have found the larger ones tend to move around quite a bit.
There are a few postings about river carp on here and also Big Rik has written a good article regarding this topic.
A good read is 'River Carping' by Neil Wyte.
Good luck!