greys

david3092

Reaction score
has any fished with the Greys Grx rod i have just recieved one for my birthday which isnt till the end of the month and her in doors has forbidden me to use it also all my other rods are w7/8 will i be safe to use on this rod which is w5/6

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
Safe to use as long as you are fishing short. The rating on the line is for the first 10 meters. If you are casting with less line than this out a heavier line will compress the rod the same.

With regards to the rod a freind as been using one all season and is very happy with it.

S

Shrek

I think you might find with Greys rods (GRX & Greyflex in particular) that you can use the lower weight lines in any rating i.e. floating, intermediate, sinker etc, but the higher end will only cope with a floating line.

So, for your rod, you'll be able to use #5 lines in all ratings, but I'd stick with a #6 floater as the max for the heavier rating.

Saying that, it sounds like you've got a nice river rod there anyway so you'll not really be wanting to fish anymore than a slow intermediate on a river anyway.

Let us know how you get on.

G

Ged

Having got a nice rod, I would invest in the lighter line. a w7/8 would be too heavy for the w5/6 rod and you would loose the action.

Paul Maclennan

Reaction score
I bought two greyflex rods at the start of the season. I think the advice to drop a line rating is good. I sold one the other day and only use the other for my 7 weight floater. A couple of weeks ago I was casting to see how far I could cast the floating line and the rod sheared in half below the joint. I don't think that I would have had that problem if the line had been a 6.

macca.

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
Paul. the rod snapped because you overloaded it. Has i said above the rods rating is for the stated line with 10 yards out when casting to load the rod. If you had more than this you are in effect using a heavier line.
A lot of small stream anglers use a line one or two ratings higher than marked on the blank. this is because they can not get 10 yards of line out. So the heavier line compensates.

Paul Maclennan

Reaction score
Obviously I'm not going to try and boot the whole line out again for the simple reason that when you shake the Greyflex rod it bends nearly down to the but of the rod. I just bought a Bloke 7# the same rating but a much faster rod. I am sure that this rod could take 10 times more stress than the greyflex and its the same rating.

macca.

david3092

Reaction score
tried the greyflex out at Jubilee fisheries in redworth co durham a great place i might add anyway the rod coped very well when there was no wind landed a nice 4lb rainbow which obviously took longer to land this was proberley due to lightness of the rod as for action, great changed to my other rod and it was like holding on to a bar bell