Fly rodding for barbel

davestocker

Reaction score
A friend has just called me up to tell me that since accidentally hooking a Ribble barbel whilst fly fishing for trout, he's been waging a campaign to catch more of these wonderful fish. So far he's had hold of around 25 fish on heavy nymphs, of which he's landed around half, with the largest being around 10lb, and his best session saw him land 5.

My friend knows no-one else in the region doing this, but he'd love to talk to anyone else who is pioneering this technique. My pal doesn't have an internet connection, so I've told him I'll post something to see if we can flush out any other barbel flyfishers. If anyone's interested in an exchange of info, I'll communicate my pals number through a personal message.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

Although I have never caught a European barbel on the fly, I have caught lots of their African cousins by this method.

There is no doubt that barbel are avid insect eaters and a suitable suggestion of their natural food would catch lots of fish. We used to tie imitations of caddis flies and the like. Weighted nymphs, Czech nymphs and even dry flies would work very well I am sure.

Way back in the 60s, on the Hampshire Avon, a number of very big barbel were caught on salmon flies.

Minimum hook size - 12, minimum tippet strength - 8 lbs.

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
I usually fih the Ribble for it's Barbel in the more traditionl manor. I have a mate who i have been trying to get into fishing for Barbel. He is a very keen fly angler and does not fish in any othr manor and says he will fish for them with a fly.

Any tips or advice that could be passed on would be gratefully accepted and recipricated where possible.

fred hall

Reaction score
Dave, it depends what your friend wants ie does he want to fly fish or does he want to catch barbel? Obviously it is possible to catch barbel on the fly but I really think it is an inefficient method for them. I note that you say he's landed half of the takes but even I do better than this!
Each to his own in Angling but ledgering a static bait has got to catch more barbel than fly fishing.

P

Phil Heaton

In some overfished shallow rivers there could well be an advantage presenting natural looking flies, especially as the barbel seem to be hammered on boilies, pellets etc.
Its normal on this type of river to stalk barbel, why not with a fly rod. I would think that a 9 weight rod would be a minimum against such a powerfull fish, improving the 50% hook to bank rate.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

What we used to do is locate the fish by sight. Then get downstream of them and cast a heavy weighted nymph or shrimp imitation well upstream at a targeted fish. Allowed the fly to "dead drift" back towards the fish and then lift when the line stops.

As Phil says this could work well on small clear rivers.

davestocker

Reaction score
My pal has found a run of about four feet in depth and has been fishing blind, as it were. And Fred, my pal wants to catch barbel on the fly. Inefficient maybe, but I suspect its the challenge of making the technique work. Anyway, I don't think he does coarse fishing.

S

Shrek

There was an indepth article in Trout Fisherman last year by Bob James about this as it's his favourite way to catch barbel.

I still have the magazine if you'd like a copy of the article in question.

Email me if you do.

davestocker

Reaction score
Thanks Adrian. I think my mate Harry has seen the piece and read it as a kind of fishing where individual fish are spotted in clear water and targeted. As I said, Harry's fishing blind in likely-looking water.

Alan Roe

Reaction score
Knowing the lengths that Harry is fishing he will always be fishing blind in likely water a task made easier on the river he fishes when the water is low!

Sadly if he wants to sight fish he will have to move rivers to smaller clearer streams like the Teme Harry's main club has a bit of water on there and he has more chance of the water clartiy that is needed down there.
For really clear water barbelling on the fly the kennet or the avon would provide the best opportunities.

For those who have never done it fly fishing for barbel can be great fun as they really go on a fly rod.
A decent reservoir outfit and some heavy bug patterns is all you need....The barbel will provide the adrenalin when you hook one I promise you.