SQUARE BOILIES

T

TERRY EDMONDS

HI,CAN ANYBODY TELL ME AN EASY WAY OF MAKING SQUARE BOILIES, I WANT TO MAKE QUITE A FEW KILOS OF THESE BAITS, AND DO YOU THINK THEY WILL BE AN ADVANTAGE?, ANY ADVICE WILL BE APPRECIATED.

Stuart Dennis

Reaction score
I can understand you not wanting them round, but why square exactly? Is it just to try something different?
Is there any reason why you can't use a standard boilie maker and leave the morsels in the shape that they cut in? Has anybody else tried this? It would be such a short cut for me!
Has anyone had much success on morsels straight from the boiler cutter and not shaped into balls?

C

Carp Angler

I'll refer you to my article of November last year about boilies and how to achieve non-round baits and why......
Press this

T

TERRY EDMONDS

the reason for squareish baits was twofold 1.to stop the baits rolling off bars 2.to help the baits sit on the bottom weed.
carp angler i read your article as advised,and im definately going to use the block method,square baits must be an advantage on pressured waters where 95% of anglers use round baits,have you used them yourself? thanks for the advice

C

Carp Angler

Of course I have, I only write about the things I use or do, unlike some authors who's allegences and favourite methods/baits change on an almost weekly basis.

I originally started using flattened disc shaped baits, to try to make my bait sit on top of silkweed, I then used the same bait on clear gravel patches and noticed a remarkable increase in positive takes.
I now only use round baits on relatively virgin waters, where I may be baiting heavily for extended periods, so I get my bait made for me.

Nashys F1 was available in oblong 15mm x 10mm to fieldtesters, but I'm unsure if this is available to the public, other than that, if you want it made then I think you are restricted to round baits.
If this is the case then just half or quarter them.

A

Andy Thatcher

All of my home made boilies are either square or cylindrical. I have a very good reason for this. Couldn't be bothered to roll bait into balls. The only time I would do that is if I am fishing any distance. Never had a problem catching on them.

J

Jon Moores

How about using bricked bait. The paste is made into a brick then cooked and when cool cut up however you like. I used to use this years ago when we boiled the brick inside 2 well sealed freezer bags, but you can wrap it in cling film and microwave.

T

Terry Edmonds

do you create square pop ups in the same way as normal boilies, and would you tie them on the hair or pierce with a baiting needle? also has any body fished over beds of natural baits such as caster and maggots? i always enjoy trying out new methods as i havent been carping to long (used to be a match angler) maggots always attracted small carp is it the same for bigger fish?

S

Stephen Shaw

Make your paste into a brick shape, microwave on a low power setting (Defrost)for about 20 mins. then simply cut into cubes.

T

Terry Edmonds

CHEERS MATE, WENT FISHING THURSDAY ON LOCAL LAKE,NO FISH BEEN OUT FOR A WHILE SO I TRIED SQUARE BOILIES ON ONE ROD,AND BECAUSE OF THE THICK WEED TRIED BREAD FLAKE WITH LONG HOOK LINK ON THE OTHER. RESULT 3 TAKES 1 FISH LANDED (THE FIRST CARP OUT THAT WEEK TO MY KNOWLEDGE) IT WEIGHED 17 LB ALL ON BREAFLAKE TYPICAL! STILL IM GOING TO CARRY ON BAITING WITH THE SQUARE BAITS,THEY HOPEFULLY WILL WORK BETTER AS THE WATER COOLS.

S

Stephen Shaw

With reference to my last post about micro-waving your paste, Dont over cook it. I did on my last batch, I now have about 200 pop-ups.