Best tackle to start off with?

Mr Bones

Reaction score
Hi All.

I?m new here and am returning to fishing after a 34 year break. Needless to say that I have no idea what?s available now nor can I remember most of what I learnt. I therefore feel like a complete beginner.

I want to purchase a rod and reel but due to a limited budget (my Wife says I have too many hobbies!!), I want to ensure that what I get will cover my needs. I?m not to sure what kind of fishing I will end up doing or what fish I shall go for. I think to start with it will be a bit of float and ledger and see how things progress.

I would really appreciate your advice on a good all round and adaptable rod and reel. I was thinking for the rod of getting a ?John Wilson signature avon quiver system? and for the reel a ?Wychwood Rogue Freespin?.

This was based on reviews and price. Good move, stupid move?
Advice greatly appreciated, many thanks in advance.

Mr Bones..

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
The Wilson Signature Avon will give you the best of both worlds ie Float/leger.
I don't know anything about the reel though, I stick with Shimano. I use the 5000 on my Wilson rod, and the balance is good. Fishing mainly for chub, but good enough for barbel.

Paul H

Reaction score
Derbyshire: best beer, best cheese, best puddings.
Welcome aboard Mr Bones,

The Wilson is a superb rod, very adaptable and enjoyable to use. I have caught small Crucians, Dace and Perch without feeling overgunned yet it has the power to deal with Trent Barbel and Chub too.

I have never tried the wychwood reels. I use a Shimano with my Wilson, Sahara 3000. It is beautifully balanced and is a good float or light ledgering reel, the 'fightin' drag' system on the clutch works a treat and enables swift clutch adjustment in tricky situations.

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I go along with Paul in saying that the Wilson rod is quite remakable in being able to handle small and large fish, with no fear of bumping the smaller fish off.
One day I can be on a river after chub and barbel, the next I can be on a stillwater or canal pulling 4oz roach out.
The reel that I use for the smaller fish is a Shimano Areo Match 111.
It is more suited to legering work because of the long reach to the spool with your finger, but that is a small sacrifice to pay for such a good reel

Clikfire

Reaction score
Hi Mr Bones,

don't forget to buy a landing net, the first fish you catch could need it!

I saw the reel you mentioned at the NEC this year and it seemed quite a solid peice of kit to me.

Mr Bones

Reaction score
Thanks guys your advice is most welcome as I'm now so rusty. Last time I fished I'm sure we used spears.

It seems you all agree about the rod and as for the reel Shimano seems to be the way ahead but I shall investigate further.

The landing net is a good point thanks Clikfire.

Once again thanks for the guidance.

PS: any one want to buy a spear?

Neneman Nick

Reaction score
i have several john wilson avon quivers....i use them for ledgering,margin fishing,stalking carp,float fishing and they will also do for some light spinning and lure work.
i`ve caught bream in ireland on them,crucians at my local boating lake,caught 13lb carp in the margins on them,chub on local rivers etc etc etc......
they are fantastic rods!!!
buy one and look after it cos it`ll serve you well.
what i really want though is to land my first ever river barbel on them.

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Bones, how is Jim? ;-)

Good advice, I agree with it all.

Welcome on board and good luck!

Nick are you taking your John Wilsons to the Trent next weekend?

Neneman Nick

Reaction score
i honestly dont know what to do mate....my mums flying over from eire next week and coming to visit our house on sunday lunchtime....so if i do come up to the trent it`ll only be for a few hours on the saturday....do you still want to use my cypri dome???