Rear Drag

E

Eric Hayes

I've striped the drag out of my trusty old 5010 for cleaning, now the question is when I reassemble it should I lubricate the drag washers first or just put them and them back dry?

Any help would be most appreciated.

M

matthew nightingale

Eric,

Can't help but I'd be interested in the result. How did you disassemble the reel; I've held back for fear that I wouldn't be able to get it back together again!

M

E

Eric Hayes

The only reason I striped mine was because I took it swimming a few months ago so now the drag doesn?t feel right.

The rear drag is easy to get out but once it's out it drops in about ten pieces so you really need the diagram to get all the washers back in the right order.

I wouldn't attempt the main reel though. from what I hear Shimanos are notoriously fiddly, full of little springs that fly in all directions when you get the reel open and even with the diagram it's still a nightmare to get back together again.

Matthew, if you ain't got a diagram let me know, I?ll put one in my bag and you can lend it next time I see you on the river.

M

matthew nightingale

Sounds like I should leave well alone! How much do Shimano charge for a service?