Glad you enjoyed it Adrian

• Thread starter Ron 'The Hat' Clay
  • Start date
R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

It's a great shame that salmon are not running our rivers in the numbers they used to.

S

Shrek

Thanks Ron.

I went up to the north Tyne in August for a couple of days and had another go there. Casting was greatly improved but, because of the low water levels, only 1 fish was caught all week and that wasn't by me.

I'm going to start getting some salmon gear together so I can practice casting then go and fish more often.

Jason Speck 2

Reaction score
I've never fished for Game Fish.But I really enjoyed that article Adrian.

Thank's

Regards Jason

G

Ged

Nice article Adrian.
More to fly fishing than first meets the eye.
Have not yet caught my first salmon but have been out three times over the years, best was hooked one, lost one.
It's a matter of being in the water at the right time, right place and doing the right thing.
Good luck in future adventures.

S

Shrek

Thanks Jason & Ged.

I'm planning to go more next year so who knows, the next write up might include some shots of my first silver tourist......!!

Ric Elwin

Reaction score
A great read Adrian. It made me realise what I'm missing, as I was planning a week's Salmon fishing myself this month. Next week's trip to India fishing for Mahseer 'got in the way' though.

Oh well, next year!

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
So what did you think of the beautiful Wye then Adrian? That stretch of it from Monmouth down to Chepstow really is one of the most picturesque stretches of river you are ever likely to see. I wish you had let me know you were going down there I would have come down to watch you, I live just up the road from there.

Still lots of chub round Bigsweir but not the vast shoals that used to inhabit the place years ago and I know of one verified barbel of over 14lbs that was caught on the Newport waters at Bigsweir last year.

Its tidal just below Bigsweir and its one of the few places left where you can see large quantities of salmon jumping during spring, I've often stood on the bank watching salmon after salmon leaping, what a lovely sight it is too.

Tom Rigby 2

Reaction score
I nice read Adrian.

Ron, the runs have improved this last year or two. What I think is a great shame is that so few coarse river anglers give salmon and sea trouting a go.

This wasn't always the case as I'm sure you well know.

Personally I think the rivers flowing into the Humber could prove very interesting in the next few years. The Taff was a dead river and then revived producing a fishable run by the mid/late nineties (even though it was set back again by the Cardiff Bay barrage)surely the Trent, Dove, Don etc will all produce fish to the rod sooner or later. After all, even the ill conceived re-stocking of the Thames produced a few fish in the early 90's in the runs below the weirs.

Keep it up Adrian your first fish will come.

Tom